1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats wrong with my truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mylittlescoop, Jan 24, 2005.

1. mylittlescoop

mylittlescoop Senior Member
    from nj

Gotta Ford f150 for light plowing. While I was plowing the battery voltage went down had to jump it after I jumped it acted crazy. Kept cutting off when I put it in gear. when it was in park it idled low then cut off again even when I had my foot on the gas
    As I drove I had to keep restarting the truck Its not the altenator I just put a new one in. Installed a new battery still the same thing happened. Can not be the pump motor I was not using the plow the second time.
    Can this be the gas filter? Any ideas? I am thinking it has something to do with the fuel line but I can not be sure. Any experts who can give me osme advice?
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My suggestion would be: 1st - make sure you're battery connections are clean and tight. Make sure the alternator connections are tight.

Then - take the alternator back to where you got it and have it tested. I wondered why you would say it wasn't the alternator. Then when you said you'd just got a new one, I suspected you got a rebuilt. Sometimes they're just bad.
  3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

What year truck? Does it have an external voltage regulator? If it does I would have the voltage regulator and the alternator tested.....Last alternator I replaced, Autozone had every alternator in stock that fit my truck test bad... I always have them test it before I leave.......
  4. Bandit

Bandit Senior Member

For a really Fast and Simple " Test " , Very carefully Hold a ScrewDriver against the Back of the Alternator at the Bearing. After You Feel the Difference Between a Good , Bad , and only 1/2 Charging ( one bad diode ) in the Magnetic Field ( Pull ) You will have Your answer while .
    But if not sure , try it on a Good Alternator First.
    Who cares what the Amps are ,if they are not all there , replace. Yes I do have ALL the Testers in My Hobby Shop.
    The Last one I got at a Consumer Auto Parts Store on a Sun. For a customers Pick Up. I got two bad ones from My Local store , there tester Didn't work ? ,or they didn't know how to operate it. They didn't have any more and I had to Go 15 mi. to another store, The Manager, a really cocky female informed Me that this was the last one I was getting from them as I was obviously doing something wrong.
    So I made Her Reluctilantly Put it on " There Tester " ,
    Guess What , I took My CASH Refund and Waited till Mon. , and bought a " Real " Rebuilt Alt.
  5. mylittlescoop

mylittlescoop Senior Member
    from nj

I must say thanks for all the advice! I am dying to try that trick out! LOL Bad Altenator! That is tooo funny! LOL I bought it from THE ZONE purposely because Pep Boys is KNOWN for bad altinators..That is their M-O
    I asked the Zone if I can have a baigger altinator they told me one size was made for my truck though I knew that was bogus I have a 1991 but that trick is really niftY with the altinator. I know you can test out a pump doing that but didnt know about the alternator!
    You guys! WOW your the best!
  6. Bandit

Bandit Senior Member

just watch the fingers
    There was a post here last week about a company that sells Beefed Alt's for Fords and others no core required , and prices were not that bad.