1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's wrong with my plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I was plowing a road the other day with the moldboard angled full left (left edge in to the hood). Snagged a tree root. Not sure if it tripped or was too high for that. Anyway, jumped over the root and wouldn't angle. Managed to get it home. Found out the hydraulic hose on that side blew out, so replaced the hose. Filled with Fisher hydraulic fluid. Still won't angle either way or raise. I can move it manually.

Is that angle cylinder shot? But wouldn't the right side one still work? Wouldn't it still raise?

Two beers to the one with the answer :drinkup: :drinkup:. And a bag of Magic Salt if you come and get it.:D

2. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Don't have afisher, but I'll guess

Mick,
    As I stated above, I don't have a fisher, but I'll take a stab...

1) Do you have the electric or belt driven hydro ? (in either case, I assume that the pump is actually runnnig / belt isn't broken)

2) Is it possible that air has gotten into the pump and needs to be bled out ? That would explain the pump not making any pressure

3) If the angle cyclinder was shot, I don't think that it would angle right, I believe the opposite side only allows fluid to flow back into the system, it doesn't "pull" the moldboard back that way. But it should definitely lift.

Not much, but I hope it helps

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Does the motor spin ? Maybe a bad connection or solenoid ?

If the motor does spin,you may have air trapped in the system.Keep trying it for a bit and it may work itself out.Make sure to keep a close eye on the fluid and top up as neccesary.

Only other thing would be a damaged 4 way valve,but it should at least go right i think.

4. Mick

from Maine

Fisher Minute Mount. A few years old. Electric over hydraulic. I can hear the motor spinning fine. Just doesn't do anything. I'll try the idea of keeping at it if that'll work the air out. Thanks.

5. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

mick,

what kind of plow is it?

does the motor run?

i would start checking the basics, and work out from there. its kinda strange that the hose blew out, with the plow fully angled.

6. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

What about a bent angle cylinder.

Geoff

7. long0

long0 Senior Member

I like Rob don't have a Fisher (Actually I don't even think I have seen one up close), but all electric over hydraulic pumps still have the same general setup. Kinda sounds like the one of the valves to me. If the motor is running, the pump should be creating pressure, thus moving something. Could you have a leak somewhere that is releasing the pressure?

Andy

8. Mick

from Maine

Thanks for all the help. I got it to angling both directions and lifting a little. Then I tried adding more fluid and it went back to doing nothing. I'm banking on air in the system which I'll try bleeding tomorrow night.

I'm hoping that when it angled and lifted some, that showed that the check valves are ok. If not, would I be ahead getting a whole new angle cylinder or can the valve be changed?

Doesn't look like the angle cylinder is bent and I can manually angle without it "catching".

9. Doctordo

Doctordo Member

Sounds like your plow is taking a beating like mine this year Mick.

10. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Its very rare that I say this. I would take it to your fisher dealer, I know it sounds stupid, however why put parts in your don't need. The problem sounds very weird IMO, normally its simple their is no power to the valve, or the valve is junk. However i find it had to believe that your plowing error caused the valve to go junk.

If it was me, and you didn't have a large parts stock, and you had to go the the dealer to get parts. I would pay the 60 bucks and let the dealer figure it out for you. Just IMO. If this problem would have happened at my shop, we would be throughing parts at it.

Geoff

11. Doctordo

Doctordo Member

Mick do you have seperate wires running to each control valve. If you do may be there is one disconnected or broken . I know I recently had a simular problem.

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

It wouldn't be a bent cylinder if you can swing it back and forth manually.Being able to do this would also indicated air in the system,or no fluid.

Try bleeding it again,may have a lot of air trapped in it.If it still doesn't work,you may have a valve sticking or bad coil for the 4 way valve (lowest one).A trip to the dealer may be in order.

13. Mick

from Maine

This is the old 9' one that I got used when I bought the 3500. I don't use it much, mostly as ballast for the sander. I was sanding a driveway that day, so just decided to do the cleanup with it.

Isn't that always the way it goes? :(

Just glad this didn't happen to my good one. But now I have a dead weight and can't use the sander unless I can manage to get the plow someplace to store it and get it off the truck.

14. wyldman

wyldman Member

If you just need to transport it to get it off the truck somewhere,you could just jack it up,or drive it up into a pile to raise the blade,and chain it up higher.

If you need repair info or schematics,let me know,and I can send them your way if you wish.

15. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

any chance it's air? did you try bleeding it?

16. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Take the lift arm off & raise the plow.
    For some reason if I let mine sit for a while I have to take the arm off & raise the cylinder a couple times that way before it will put out any real pressure.

When you blew the hose with the pressure You may have also
    put pressure back into the res.. Or by over filling it when you changed the hose you may have cracked the fill cap or some other part letting water into the system. I've blew the cap completely off before. Check for fluid arround the pump. Put the plow in the garage overnight & see if that helps after it warms up a bit.
    BTW: I used Napa tranny fluid once & it was really bad so I went back to another brand.
    If it's anything like the MVP you may have blew the fluid pickup filter in the res. off, for some odd reason that would also cause it not to move or move extremely slow.

While your at it check the pins/bolts that hold the cylinder on to make sure thay arnt bent & you didnt loose any cotter pins.

17. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Mick,
    Just curious... did you get the problem resolved and if so, what was it ?

18. Mick

from Maine

Problem solved. Initially, it was a hydraulic hose. I bled the system - twice. Still didn't angle and lift well. Left it till it warmed up which it did yesterday. Still acting like it had. Couldn't figure it out. Went to the diagnostics part of the owner's manual. Two different things it was doing - angling and lifting slowing - showed "low hydraulic fluid. It couldn't be that caused I'd bled the system twice. Checked again, anyway. Added fluid. Problem solved and works like a champ even though it's probably seven years old (came with the truck).

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

19. dan deutekom

dan deutekom Member

Just a thought now that the problem is resolved. When the hose blew you lost a lot of fluid. That explains air in the system. But even though you filled it and worked it, the fluid itself may have foamed up because of the pump working and cavitating. This air that is trapped in the fluid can take some time to separate causing trouble until it sits for a day or two and can separate out.

20. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Now since i was hoisting a Jack and Coke enjoying the thread and realizing there's alot of smart people out there I will chime in.

Mick, Glad you still had the manual. Saves alot of time if you follow the diagnostics in the owners manuals. They show hydraulic and electric trouble shooting.

Just found this thread so I couldn't answer while you were checking it out.

Dan is right on about the foaming of the fluid. Blown hose means usually cleaning the windshield and pulling the plow motor to make things go faster.

On the Western and Fisher units ( cable control and Pre- ultra mount and MVP style with the metal can resivors ) the easiest way to refill them when they are out of fluid is to pull the motor and fill them. The problem with the other method is there is a baffle in the rear that makes the first fill or refilling take quite a bit of time. We pull the motor, fill the unit, replace the motor, run the unit left/right several times, top off the fluid level, raise and lower the unit several times and retop the fluid.

Good to see you got your unit back up and running. Jerre