1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats wrong with Minute-mount?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by thelawnguy, Jan 19, 2000.

1. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Seen a few comments about minute mount hookup, whats the prob? I have one, easiest thing ever, takes all of a minute to hook up or drop off. Doesnt seem to be going anywhere once its on the truck either.<p>Bill

2. tru cut

tru cut PlowSite.com Veteran

i also have a minute mount and find it very easy to hookup and drop .you just have to make sure you push the lift ram down when you unhook so there is slack in the chain to push the head gearup to reconect.

3. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

I don't know what the problem is. I just got done hooking mine up and no problems. It was even sitting off at an angle.<br>Ray

4. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Minute Mount Problems, Here they are.<p>If you put an Minute Mount on gravel, and the ground becomes unfrozen the plow sinks.<br>When the plow sinks it doesn't line up with the mounts on the truck, and that is where the problems starts.<p>If it starts snowing before you put the plow on the ground, which happens in a suprize storm. The snow raises the hight of the tires so the mounts don't line up again. Now if there is only an inch or less it isn't an issue, try 2 inches and thats a different story.<p>Basicly is the hight of the truck or plow changes, the mounts will not line up. Then you need to get out the jack, pry bars, and 6 big guys.<p>Geoff

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

My buddy put a load of sand salt in his spreader and then when to mount his plow, HAHAHAHAHA no way front was 4&quot; higher than normal. And he stores it 500 feet form the shop. Guess what he did, ran all the sand out of the hopper, mounted the plow, and then shoveled the sand back in. <br>The problem is that when it doesnt hook up right, you have the entire weight of the plow, head gear and hydro to deal with, if you have an older style mount, you only have to jockey the blade.<br>On level ground, with the mounts lined up, it is a great thing. But when it goes wrong , oh boy. Like I ssaid we converted a min/mount to a convential type setup because it is easier to mount. <br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

6. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

Interesting problems - but here's what we do:<p>1. Don't put plows on soft ground, even the old style ones sink. We put them on pallets (even the minute mounts), then we can move them around the yard with a tow motor or skid steer.<p>2. I found that if you keep the highway carry chain tight after you make sure the headgear (triangle part) is all the way down, the minute mount stays where you put it. If you provide some slack afterwards you can rock the contact point a few inches up or down without much trouble. I just tried it - stand in front of plow and pull on triangle - as long as the jack can slide a little, the contact point raises up a few inches. Then push it back towards the truck and it lines up with the holes. This helps when you end up higher than when you parked.<p>3. We put the plows on concrete - either in an empty materials bin outside, or inside on the floor. Asphalt might allow sinkage in the summer.<p>Just my $.02<p> <p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider

7. GeoffD

I think you should be able to store a plow on gravel, lawn, or anywhere. You shouldn't have to prepare a special area to store your plows. I store all my plows behind the shop in the summer, or slightly in the woods. I don't want them all in the way in the summer.<br>Even if the old style blade sinks a little you can use the lift are to pick it up, to the correct hight to hook up the plow.<p>Geoff

8. plowking35

from SE CT

I agree with Geoff.There is no reason why you should have to monkey with a plow just because its not on a level hard surface.But if you hate the minute mount just try a western uni mount. That engineer should be shot. <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

9. GeoffD

what is the main difference between a uni-mount and a minute mount? I just wonder how much more you can f--- up a plow mounting system. If fisher was smart they would have done what Dino did with his minute mount. Then customers could have had it both ways.<p>Geoff

10. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

To Geoff, I don't see your problem, maybe you didn't read the directions! You have to make sure the lift cylinder is down all the way, and after the pins are pulled back using the safety chain to hold the head gear in place. As for soft ground, I have 1 foot piece of 2X6 I put under the foot, and them throw it under the seat went I mount the plow. I do try to mount and unmount with my truck loaded the same. Guess you can't remember the good old days of crawling under the front of your truck after that suprise snow storm, trying to line up pins you couldn't see, with a plow that was frozen in the ground! Give me a minute mount any day.<br>Bill

11. GeoffD

You can't miss the directions they are right on the plow, and i kick them everytime the stupid mounts don't line up. Ever try to hook up a 10' fisher? Weighs over 1000 pounds. I can line up a Diamond and hook it up faster than a fisher.<p>Geoff

12. plowking35

from SE CT

Ok with a min mount all you have to do is drive into the v mounts and push back on the head gear till the spring loaded pins engage. then hook the two quick connects and lift the stand and you are on your way.(as long as you are within .0001 inch of alignment)<br>With the western you drive into and align the a frame hitch points like you would on a conventional plow. Except that you ahve all the head gear and hydro lines in the way.<br>Now when that is done you install the two hitch pins(which are not spring loaded). Once you have those installed(and they require the same precision as the min mount)<br>you then have to pull the pin on the head gear stand, and while holding the head gear, you must align and hook up two strut arns that hold the head gear to the mount on the truck. Hoping that the struts are not caught behind the rear of the a frame. Then you pin the stand up, and hook up the two quick connects. All this takes at least 15 min and you have to have at least 2 people and a 2x4or a floor jack.<br>So you see the min mount is easy compared to the uni mount.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

13. plowking35

from SE CT

To miiligan, I agree with Geoff all the way. You take his problem and mutiply them x 5 trucks and you can waste over an hour or more hooking up plows. No one way is perfect, but there will come a day when you will curse that minmount. Not a matter of if but when.<br>We had a surprise April storm one year and the minmount had sunk 3&quot; in the soft ground even with a 2x6 under it, took 2 guys an hour to jockey the thing on the truck, and that was only a 7.5' not a ten.<br>BTW keep an eye on the male plug on the truck. Ours started to break where the wires go into the plug. A new repair end was 30$ and crimped onto the existing one. Better than running a new one from the controller out.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

14. Tick

Tick Junior Member

Wow Dino, I find I can be &quot;off&quot; several inches with the uni mount (up and down). I have someone help me get lined up when I am driving up to the plow. After that, you pull the stand pin (the bottom one). By moving the light pump unit towards or away from the truck, the mount easily moves up or down several inches.I just hooked up last night and had 1200 lbs of bag sand in the back so my front was high. Pulled the pin, moved the head section, walla it lined up and in went the hitch pin. I did need to give the one side a little push toward the truck (in).<br>Also, you shouldn't have to hold the whole &quot;head&quot; up. You need to do that if you pull the top stand pin before putting on the &quot;struts&quot;. If you leave it in, you just move the head forward or backwards until it lines up. Once those are on then you pull the top pin. Doing so before allows the whole thing to &quot;flop&quot; forward and you have to &quot;muscle&quot; the thing, it's a heavy sucker.<p>Tick<p><br>

15. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Well I just came in from hooking up my Minit-mount. Yesterday I picked up two tons of sand so the front of the truck was higher than the mount by about four inches. Stuck a twobyfour under the back of the mount, lifted it up and pulled the jack release now the mount was in position still no problems hooking up. Didnt even have to look at the big sticker-no words just pictures for those who are literally challenged.<p>This can happen with any plow, whats the big deal? Put a scrap of 1x6 under the jack and you can unhitch your plow in a bog and it wont sink.<p>I think some of you guys better lay off the sauce before trying to hook up your plows-or find another line of work more suited to your skill levels&lt;VBG&gt;. Or, maybe do like the guy I see with his plow on in July, leave it on all year, not sure what was up with that I didnt dare ask.<p>Bill

16. Diceman

Diceman Junior Member

I would have to side with Dino on this one. It doesn't matter which plow you're using, if everything goes wrong at the same time, it sucks to be you. I was there, trying to put a (90)minute mount on with 3+ inches and hour falling. Know what? It sucked to be me. Especially with Dino freaking out and yelling at me....&quot;WHERE THE F**K ARE YOU!!!&quot;<br>----------<br>Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>http://www.sima.org <p>

17. plowking35

from SE CT

Bill<br>I dont know what your problem is, all I can can relate is the problems that I have seen and experienced. If you are having no problems then good for you, dont challenge my itelligence, or mechanical ability.<br>And to say that we abuse alcohol is down right stupid. I take my job and business seriously, and seeing that other very talented people have the same problems, seems to say to me that it is not a isolated problem. I will try that trick with the lower pin on the western uni mount. I have spoken with both fisher and western engineers and they both say that the plows need to be on hard level ground to work properly. Now Bill can you say that. No. That is right from the horses mouth. Maybe you could try being supportive rather than reducing yourself to name calling. May the snow gods curse you min mount just once for justice.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

18. GeoffD

Hey Dino says it all. I you can get you min mount to work the fist time every time, then great. Only i can't, and i don't believe it is the customer's responiblity to install a slab at their shop, so the minute mount works correctly. <p>Oh yea i am 1/2 way through my six pack, of diet coke.<p>Geoff