Snow Plowing Forum banner

What's Wrong with Meyer Plows?

9K views 37 replies 24 participants last post by  Big Nate's Plowing 
#1 ·
I have not heard one person say they prefer a Meyer plow -- why?

You're probably saying "this guy is so new." Right, but I've looked at Western, Fisher, and Boss. Other than maybe an easier mounting system, I don't see much difference.

My truck came with a 7.5 ST 90 Meyer. I put on one of Dino's urethane edges and I'm going to put a pair of wings on too. This plow seems as strudy as anythign out there.

Am I mistaken?? All I see in Pgh, PA. is Meyer. I just bought a new Chev. 1 ton and need some guidance. If there is somethign better than Meyer, please let me know. I would like to hear some specifics too.

Thanx everyone

Ron

#27 ·
I used to work for a shop that sold truck equipment and we loved Meyers. Every snow storm, they were in for repairs. Every few years they were in to be totally rebuilt. Salt would rust them to pieces. We sold, Mid, Valk, Western, Fisher. They all had there problems, but the Meyers had the most. Don't know what they are like now. That was about 25 years ago. I have a Fisher on my '79 Ford and it came with the truck. No problems with it and it works every snow storm. Just an old work horse.

#30 ·
Most Meyer problems are because people bought the wrong model:

The old Meyer Husky was the best plow of it's day and the M-9 is still one of the tougher 9' out there.

You buy a ST-90 (ST-7.5) is not made to do more than plow your own driveway. Even the C-series is marginal.

I don't see anyone complaining about their M-9.

Meyers' problem is they've been sold too many times and haven't kept up with the times and made any improvements in 25 years.

#32 ·
Cat320, Have been using four Meyers with E 47s Ive found that every other year they do freeze up like what your is doing.You can over come that several ways,If you want to spend money Meyers sells a heated jacket cover that goes over the pump.Two cheaper ways is to buy a bottle of Isopropyl (Rubbing alcohol) approx .79 cents add three shot glasses when temp is at or above freezing and run plow several minutes to mix with oil.If extremely cold pull in garage to do.Warranties? not sure but Ive been running mine for years like this no problem.Another solution is to drain out all the fluid and refill with Pennzoil powersteering fluid it is also blue and just a tad more consistent than oem oils.Again have several set up this way. Havent had one freeze up since Good luck.RB if your reading this did you sell the Buyers tailgate spreader yet ?

#33 ·
Okay, heres the lowdown from my perspective. I have plowed for 12 years with two trucks using 7.5 ft meyers and E-47 pumps and a Fisher 8 footer that I bought in 96. I just bought a Meyers C-8 because the 7.5 was not wide enough for the DRW on the 350 dump which came with the Meyers plowing frame left on from the previous owner. The C-8 is deffinately a heavier plow with four trip springs, but havent used it yet since I just got it. These are good plows and pumps, parts are easy to get and available and spare pumps and blades show up in the want ads all the time.Thats how I found the C-8.

My first thought is to agree with whoever said, go with whatever you LOCAL dealer sells and services and develop a good solid relationship with them. This becomes very important during an in storm breakdown when everyone and there mother is begging for service, your "Friend" might help get you on your way faster.

Secondly, pump freezeup is very likely caused by water in the pump. Ah you say....I changed the oil in the pump before the season. The question is "did you change the oil in your angle cylinders?" Condensation in your plow cylinders builds up during the off season, mixes with that nice clean oil you changed in your pump and then freezes up. You have to clean the oil in your cylinders every year along with the pump, by pulling the fitting and angling the plow manually back and forth until the oil is out then suck clean oil back in by reversing the process.

With all that said Fisher has won me over. I love my minute mount, it plows great and is well built. Takes time to getting used to the trip edge vs the trip blade but does a great job. Caution Will plow handicap ramps or speed bumps clean off the asphalt. I plow rough to get the job done, and back in 96 bent my A frame plowing a sidewalk and caught the curb during the blizzard of 96. Only other caution is to avoid using curb guards. Last year was doing some cleanup work on a condo property and managed to stick the curb guard in a storm drain as I got into position to clear the curb. Pulled forward 12 inches, and wham twisted the A-frame, head gear, mounting points and truck horns. Fortunatly covered under insurance but cost about 1200 bucks to get it all straightened out.

C Mer Land

#34 ·
CMerLand,

A C-8 on a F350 Dump? Thats a bit narrow of a plow for a dual rear wheel vehicle isn't it? Why didn't you go with a 8.5 or a 9'? This has been my suggestions for plows. 1/2T=7.5'.....3/4 & 1T SRW=8'.....1T DRW Pickup 8.5'.....1T Dumps DRW 4x4 & Superduties=9' These are just my recomendations for straight blades.

#35 ·
Tom, I think your recommendations are a good except the 1 ton part,they are backwards,the track width on a dually pickup is much wider than a cab&chassis,so the pickup needs the 9fter even more than the SD's and the cab&chassis does.If you put an 8.5 on a dually pickup,the outside tire will be running in the edge of the windrow on angled passes.I think all duallys should have 9 fters.3/4HD and 1 ton SRW's should run 8.5's.

#36 ·
John,

Got me on that one. I honestly never knew that a chassis cab dually (dump/stake) has a narrower track width than a pick-up dually. I looked in my files and found a pickup dually is 92.5" and a chassis cab dually is only 81.3" . WOW almost 10 inches different! Never knew, who woulda thunk? An 8.5' straight edge plow at full angle is 2.5" short (90") for a pick-up dually's track width. Sure dont tell you this on any plows web page recomendation charts. Wonder why?

I'll have to put this on the "What I learned on Lawnsite.com" thread.

Thanks John,

#37 ·
Dixel,

Real simple reason is that that the 8' was what was in the classifieds last Saturday. Almost never see plow blades over the 7.5 in the paper. Usually someone who bought the truck used and wants to ditch the plow setup. Havent gotten into any of the county/township auctions but if I'd pick up another 8 ftr in a heartbeat at the right price.

Second reason is that the truck is an 85 and 2wd. Had that 14 inch storm New Years and the guy driving it said he was really having problems pushing anything and was primarly doing cleanup behind our other trucks. Had two pallets 5,000 lb of salt in the back so weight wasnt the problem. May have been part new guy driver, part truck not having enough traction. Dont know enough with this truck to be sure.

Actually may just leave the 7.5 on the dump/ salter truck and move the 8 over to the 250 4wd. Thats a front line truck with a front line driver so he'll get more productivity out of the plow then if I leave it on the dump.

Last worry is trying to sneak anything bigger then 8' through the bank drive thru lanes. Guy blew the side window out of the dump that storm hitting the mirrors on the posts. If it dont fit then it dont work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.