Snow Plowing Forum banner

What's Wrong with Meyer Plows?

9K views 37 replies 24 participants last post by  Big Nate's Plowing 
#1 ·
I have not heard one person say they prefer a Meyer plow -- why?

You're probably saying "this guy is so new." Right, but I've looked at Western, Fisher, and Boss. Other than maybe an easier mounting system, I don't see much difference.

My truck came with a 7.5 ST 90 Meyer. I put on one of Dino's urethane edges and I'm going to put a pair of wings on too. This plow seems as strudy as anythign out there.

Am I mistaken?? All I see in Pgh, PA. is Meyer. I just bought a new Chev. 1 ton and need some guidance. If there is somethign better than Meyer, please let me know. I would like to hear some specifics too.

Thanx everyone

Ron

#2 ·
RB,
You asked the same question in another thread. Read it again for the answers http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=7534 I have 2 trucks that I bought with Meyer set ups already on them and my 3rd truck came with a Fisher. The 2 Meyer set ups: I have done about everything mentioned in that thread at one time or another and have been building up a supply of extra parts, an extra blade, spare pumps etc. I actually enjoy working on the plows so it doesn't bother me too much & I now know them pretty well. The truck with the Fisher that I've had for 2.5 years now: I changed the oil & the belt once and that's it. In the future I will be avoiding Meyer if at all possible, now that I've been enlightened to the fact that all of that repair & stocking isn't necessary. And I don't get a lot of snow here and we don't really pound them like I see other guys around here do (or like Chuck's brother likes to ;) )
Just my 2 cents.

#3 ·
Look atb the amount of stell in framework, compare to fisher, my brother welds, at Protec they had a western come he laughed at they guy, another guy I know owns smaller welding shop, said on any given storm they have arund 8 trucks waiting for repairs(welding) during storm, I asked if any were fishers he said all were meyer & western, but more meyer, didn't recall any fishers. Never used meyer, have only used fisher(5 years now), never had a problem.

#4 ·
Thanx BRL. I knew I asked that question before, but I forgot where it was and forgot to look for it.

Also, thanx John. I guess I'll just have to learn for experience. I'll try to keep it in good shape and watch welds. I'll change springs each year and try to preform a lot of preventive maitenance. Fortunately, I live in an area where I might only plow a dozen times on a good year.

Thanx for all the comments.

Ron

#5 ·
I am in the same general area as RB, and can say that out of 100 plow trucks on thr road, 90 have a MEYER setup, 5 have a Western, 2 Fisher, 1 Boss, 1 Curtis, and 1 Snow-Way. I have never seen any of the others around here.

Face the facts, if there is no service or support for the other plows, no matter how good they are, they are not for me.

I can beg/borrow/steal parts from friends to fit a MEYER, but nothing else.

#6 ·
We have a couple of real good Fisher dealers locally,and around here ther are lots of fisher's and a rash of new Boss straight blades.There are lots of new Hyundais around here too,but it doesnt mean that they are the best,just the cheapest up front.The same is true about the meyers,they will probably last 5 good yrs if your not in the snow belt or real abusive.Ill take a 10 yr old Fisher over a brand new Meyer blade any day.

#7 ·
i had a '88 chevy one ton w/a 454, my first truck, loved it, could pass anything but a gas station and i bought it used with a myers plow and every storm when th plow broke down and i pulled into my dad's shop to get it fixed all i heard was "BUY A MYERS, BUY THE BEST, PLOW THE SIDEWALK, SHOVEL THE REST." in unison from all the guys every time. It got old after a while, because my plow was the only one breaking down. and now its all fishers for me and they work great.

#8 ·
Well I have diamond which basically is a heavy version of the myers with an e47 out front pack and last night my controls froze up and this is not the first time and to beat it all i just went tru the whole unit before the season painting it cleaning the electric conetions fluid and filter cleaning and i still have the same problem that they have been having for years.

#9 ·
Don't call the Diamond a Heavy version of a messed up Meyer.

1st the one thing the plows share are lights, pumps, and the tube lift frame. The frame kits are not the same, the Diamond is much heavier than the meyer.

2nd. My Diamond dealer will only sell a Diamond plow with an E 60 pump. The Diamond weighs much more than a Meyer and you need the heavier pump.

3rd The Diamond plow uses a trip edge, not a trip blade like the meyer. The Diamond has 2 piviot points, the meyer has one. The Diamond is by far the toughest most heavy duty plow that you can buy for a pick up, also weighs more than any other pick up plow.

4th Diamond used the be it's own company, built in Maine. However during the late 80s it had money problems, and Meyer bought Diamond.

Geoff

#12 ·
All right guys - enough!

I've heard both pro and con about Meyer. Thank you all for your comments. I appreciate.

P.S.
I bet all you guys that hate Meyer would rather use a Toro than a commercial duty Lawnboy! J/K

Thanx again everyone.

Ron

#14 ·
Put an E 60H on and all your problems will go away. He have 9 Diamond plows and bought 1 with an E 47H, for reasons I can't remember. The plow with the E-47H wouldn't let you angle with snow in front of the plow. We also had trouble stacking with the e-47H. So we took it off and payed the 760 bucks for the E 60H. We can angle a 9' Diamond with snow, and stack very well with the E 60H.

We used the E 47H to power a pull plow last winter, However we replaced it with a differet type of Hydro pump, for fast performance. The E 47H Now sits in the shop as a spare.

For you Diamond plow to lift correctly you need the E 47H or E 60H. Don't use just an E 47 or E 60, the lift cylinder isn't long enough to work with the slightly different lift arm that Diamond uses compared to Meyer.

I hate to say it, but an E 60H may be a lot of money, but will solve your problems. The E 47H is only recomended up to 7.5', so if you are useing it on an 8' or bigger like we were that could account for your problems. My Diamond dealer tells guys you can run the E 47H, but you won't be happy with it. He says it works fine for the 6.5-7', which are really Meyer plows.

Geoff

#17 ·
RB,

The ST series MEYER is a totally different plow than a C series. If you have a 3/4 or 1Ton SRW, it is well worth it to upgrade to a C-8 MEYER. I have had one on a Suburban for 5 Seasons now and it looks and plows like new. They are substantially a heavier build. From the A-Frame to the sector to the blade itself. I bent up many a ST-90 to finally learn that a C-8 is the way to go. It uses the same mounting bracketry, pump, etc as an ST. They are heavier, and my E-47 lifts it slower, but hasn't had a problem with it. Save the ST's for 1/2 tons. At full angle a ST-90 barely covers wheel track width on a SRW, the C-8 covers it and then some, without being too big for the heavy snows.

If you are plowing roads, get a Diamond or a Fisher as they will trip better over small road obstructions, and are built very heavily.

Bottom line, don't let the MEYER bashers get you down, as they are mainly bashing the homeowner grade ST series that MEYER markets as a "professional" plow.

#18 ·
I'll second that. I just traded one of my St 90's (poly) for a steel C-8 Husky and there is a big difference between the 2 types like Dixie said. I think I saw Lazer post one time that even he likes the Husky's. BTW do we think he'll ever dig out & check back in here? MIA

#19 ·
I had a Meyers on my 78 dodge, I had to weld the plow twice and that was a C7.5. I have known several other people that have meyers too. They have had nothing but problems with mostly the Moldboard and frames. They do make a very good pump. A friend of mine that owns a tree company, bent his whole moldboard almost in half hitting a curb at the end of a driveway. I have run Fishers, Westerns and Boss plows and have never had to weld a single one of them. And my wife will vouch that I plow crazy.

P.S. The Meyers plow was broken with someone else driving who is 60 yrs. old and he plowed like his age.

#20 ·
I would rather have a plow related part break than a frame horn or crossmember on a $30,000 truck. Plow pins, pivot bolts, ect are cheap and easy to replace/repair.

I like MEYER, would I buy another? Yes, however, i'm spoiled with my BOSS V !!

We are talking about snow-plows...NOT CURB-plows!!! LOL

I like the idea that I can pull up to anyones MEYER and hook up if mine is down.

Final word.

ALL machines will break sometime in their life.

#21 ·
Where do you get CURB PLOWS?!? Hehe.

Oh, you can't just pull up to any Meyer and hook up when yours is down. They have laws against that!!! Har har. You couldn't hook up to my Meyer unless you had a Western mount on your truck (just got it back from the welder. I had it modified to fit. Now if I can figure out how to get something Boss, something Diamond, and something Fisher, I'll have a plow setup that resembles the car I had as a teenager (multi-colored and pieced together).

Sorry for this post, I have been outside and awake for MUCH too long. I'm just not thinking right....

#23 ·
We got a 8' Meyer on our 3/4 ton Dodge all state contract prices.The one thing I do like about it is it scrapes and backblades great.We are going on our second year with it and I really like the toggle switch control,compared to the the leaver on the Fishers.The minute mount is easier to put on but the Meyer is lighter to move around.I like the elec hyd over the belt drive hyd ,The belt drive goes slower or so it seams.I want to try a 9' Meyer (the next town over has one on a 1 ton)on the Dodge the 8 is too small.I'd really like a Fisher v if I had my choice.We used to buy Diamonds 8.5' and 8'even before they went to the two point piviot ,the 8.5' tore it's self apart pins cylinders ect.We had it retrofitted to a two point setup.Damn heavy plows hard on independent suspensions,but they rarely fail.

#26 ·
A lot of it has to do where you are from I think. Here in southern wisconsin Western plows are very popular probably because western is located here. My local dealer sells western and meyer plows but he recomends western, says meyer plows tend to have problems with moisture getting in the hydraulic system. I have always used western plows so im not sure if what he is saying is correct.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.