1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's wrong now?!

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by loyboy, Feb 13, 2007.

1. loyboy

loyboy Member
    from KCMO

New motor, new pump, new fluid. The plow was lifting and operating great for 5 hours then the lift started getting slower and slower. Got out, checked all fluid, Its fine. But the pump sounds like its cavitating I don't know. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.:dizzy:

2. Big Ben

Big Ben Junior Member

Will cylinder extend with out trying to lift the blade? does the motor seem to be straining?
    is there any fluid leaking anywhere while lifting?

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you check/set the pump relief pressure after you installed the replacement pump? Also,sometime's they lose pump pressure after some use and the relief valve will need to be reset.Did you disassemble the lift ram and cylinder tank and clean the sump out while you were changing the pump? If not the internal filter in the sump could be plugged up.

4. loyboy

loyboy Member
    from KCMO

Thanks guy's. I'm going to get some sleep for now. Will try it tomarrow. Thanks alot.

5. loyboy

loyboy Member
    from KCMO

I don't know how to adjust anything on it. But the plow lifts, turns but really slow. It sounds like it's out of fluid but its not. Btw, it's an older E 47.:confused:

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it sound's like it's cavitating, then either the pump pressure is low (pressure relief valve needs adjusted) or the internal filter is plugged with dirt or ice.

7. loyboy

loyboy Member
    from KCMO

OK, how do you adjust the pump pressure on an E-47. Like I said, it ran fine in the 20'sF for about 4 hours then it stared to act up. Thanks B&B.

8. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I had the same problem today with an E47 again. Happened last time too. Was working fine then so slow it would not even lift the plow. Let it sit 5 minutes then it was fine again. I'm wondering if the motor is shot. But then it works fine again. Fluid right up there.

9. loyboy

loyboy Member
    from KCMO

I know! I run a truck for the county. OO' f250 w/ 9' boss. I love that plow, it's tuff. I have a good buddy of mine run my truck for me. I don't think I'll ever own another Meyers.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

loyboy, do you have a pressure gage or access to one in order to check the pump setting? If so I'll walk you through the procedure to set the pump pressure.

11. loyboy

loyboy Member
    from KCMO

I'm sure I can come up w' one. A gauge for at least 1500psi? Where can I hook it up at?. Man I sure appreciate all the help.:waving:

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A 1500 psi gage isn't quite enough to set it to factory specs but if that's all you can come up with you can get a general idea to see if it's close. Your E47 should be set at 1650 psi. All you have to do is plumb it into one of the power angle hoses.Just use a tee fitting and a male and female quick coupler.Screw a coupler on each end of the tee and then screw the gage into the remaining port on the tee.This way you can just plug the gage in-line with the angle hose.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  13. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

It sounds like a clogged filter to me.

14. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Maybe the fluid just has water in it and is freezing?

15. loyboy

loyboy Member
    from KCMO

I thought it might be that until i had it parked in my shop over 24 hours. The shop temp is 60f. It still acts like that. Thanks.

16. Whip

Whip Member

As stated in another thread, how old is the vehicle, battery, charging system, connections? These are all things that must also be taken into consideration when trying to diagnose an item that is run by electricity. Too many people automatically blame the pump.
    Also, if the unit is cavitating, you would see air foam when you checked the fluid level.

17. loyboy

loyboy Member
    from KCMO

ok boys. Tore into the E 47 today.There was some sludge in the bottum of the oil res. the inside strainer was partially clogged. Cleaned it all up. put in new fluid and she worked great. Now all I need is some cold weather and snow. Thanks, Kenny

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear you got it working well. BTW, did you ever check the pump pressure?

19. loyboy

loyboy Member
    from KCMO

No I didn't.I realy didn't think I needed to since it lifted the 7.5 plow and my buddy who weighs about 225. Thanks for all the help. I'm sure I'll need it again sometime!:dizzy:

20. akgloomis

akgloomis Junior Member

These pumps as you know condensate really bad, especially when they are used heavily. If you are running Meyer fluid in them, over time the water/oil mixture will develope a gray slimmy sludge in the bottom of the base and this will plug the suction screen up and cause you lots of problems. Meyer recommends an oil change once a season but if you are using it real heavily I would recommend a few more times then that. Once you have that sludge you have to rebuild it. Meyer does have the Hydra Flush but I haven't seen that it works once the sludge has formed.