1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whats with the motors being junk

Discussion in 'DownEaster' started by go plow, Dec 29, 2008.

1. go plow

go plow Senior Member

i have a downeaster and im on my 3rd briggs motor, the first two were 10hp last feb i installed thier new 10hp, last week one of the magnets on the flywheel let go and made a hole in the block, it only had about 5 hours on it..now they say that it got replaced with a 13hp motor? i also posted the whole story in the repair forum...

2. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Personally we steer away from briggs engines. We op for the Honda. Don't have a downeaster V, have a fisher V and went with honda, same with the previous henderson V went with Honda. Never had a problem

3. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

mine has a 10.5 briggs runs great. it's been used and abused with no problems

4. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

The only problems that I've had from my motors has been salt related... except for one small part that failed, but Coastal Metal Fab had me out in 10 minutes after replacing the problem. 4 years of heavy use on one spreader and a year on the second.

5. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

Briggs are good motors, they can just be contrary. All our concrete equipment have hondas on them, but my log splitter and and dad's generator have briggs on them, and as long as you keep up with them, they run just fine. they just can't take the abuse a honda can

6. westernbud

westernbud Junior Member
    from ct

I have a 1998 stainless downeaster with briggs 8hp havent had one problem with unit.knock on wood ,but i think i know about something some guys forget about. Its called preventive maintainance.Most people let it ride then blame the machine when it fails.

7. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

100% true!
    when was the last time you have ever seen any one change the oil in one?
    even if the engine isn't used oil should be changed once a year. it breaks down and does not lubricate as it should.

i bought my sander used from the town, used and abused, i cut out all the rust and welded in new metal. and repainted it top to bottom. looks like a new machine now.
    same with the plow. if you take care of what you use it will last a long time and save you money in the long run

8. go plow

go plow Senior Member

I WONDER WHY BRIGGS DOESNT MAKE THE 10HP ANYMORE? :dizzy:payup

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  9. go plow

go plow Senior Member

well thats not the case here, my tools get lube/tuned all the time. my norm is 100hrs on my mowers and twice a year on the sander. besides, even if it was a mis-used tool/equipment it should last longer then five hours? oh, all you guys with the old 10hp, briggs doesnt make them anymore... I WONDER WHY?