1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats up with Walmart?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Italiano67, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Does anyone know what is going on with Walmarts and their snow/maintenace contracts? We were told even though the manager was very happy he has been instructed by Corp. that none of the Walmarts are to be signing contracts yet. Supposedly big changes coming. I suppose USM or simiiar concocted a story for them about lower prices etc. Anyone have a clue?

2. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I talked to are local Walmart and he told me that Corp. is going to be making all the calls on the main. contracts, and the stores are going to have little say!! He said there not going with just one company anymore, they could have: 1 for mowing, 1 for plowing, 1 for sweeping, and so on!!

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I was told the exact same thing. I don't have any details though. I would imagine you're on the right track by thinking one of the major property maintenance companies has gotten ahold of them.

4. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

They can't get a much cheaper deal here than they do now.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

There's always some fool that thinks he can do it for less. That's how a $50,000 job goes to $40,000 in a few years.

6. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Not happening here at the stores.

7. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Around here they are going to one company for year round service. It's not through a maintenance company though. I know my dad has some year round maintenance bids pending at a couple walmarts around here

8. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Same here one company....landscaping/sweeping/snow & ice management

9. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

For those of you who are saying that nothing has changed at your locations, it's possible that Walmart's corporate office has been calling the shots all along.

Our local store was making in-house decisions and that's going to change.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Just received an RFP from a company that we already work for for WalMarts.

Haven't checked it out yet.

11. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That's true, but this guy already charges nearly half of what I charge per hour.

12. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Ther must be some other guys on here that maintain Wally World. Let us know if you have any news. It doesnt have to be any where near me. Just want to learn what is going on.

13. zackman

zackman Member

I just was contacted to bid on a walmart... I would love the chance to get in on something like this, but wonder on bidding?? I have done shopping centers for over 11 years but nothing this big..
    Any help on pricing would be so helpful. I was just reading over the contract and bidding proposal last night that they sent me, boy there was a lot of info to read..I have read that some people say to walk away from a walmart but don't know why??? They want per storm price and per season price??? If someone can help with just an average cost and then I will go from there. I don't want to charge to low or to high...

14. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Ww just rec'd a bit packet for about 50 locations of Walmart and Sam's Club stores. It is a complete joke. I won't even bother bidding on any of them with the scope that they are asking for.

15. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

50 locations? As in, you have you do all 50 in order to be awarded the contract?

16. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Got an RFP from them as well, it gives you the opportunity that to bid on all or just one service, seems odd you would think that they would want to deal with just one company.

17. zurfsturfcare

zurfsturfcare Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

when are your bids due? i am suppose to be getting a packet but havent received one yet???

18. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

the 25th i think

19. zurfsturfcare

zurfsturfcare Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

of what month?

20. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

Is the bid pack from a management company or from Walmart directly?