1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats up with these ebay strobes?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by farmerkev, Dec 30, 2009.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I see stobe kits like this all over ebay, they are all around the same price range and seem to be the same brand regardless of the seller. I really dont want to spend money on lighting as I dont need more than my mini lightbar, but at this price I think these would be cool to have reguardless of how much I need them. I know nothing about strobes, so could somebody give me a little more insight to these? Would a kit like this include everything I need? Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ambe...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

2. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

save $$ and buy name brand

3. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Seller has excellent feedback.

For a tenth the price of "name brand" light they are worth a try.

I picked up some Ebay 4 LED heads over three years ago to mount behind the grille of my bro's pickup (since ebay no-name ones were literally the only source for green ones [ambulance squad color]), still working great to this day.

If I didn't already have Lin3's I would have given them a try for my rear lights, but wanted them to sync.

4. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

That was my first thought, but at the same time I wont be using them hardly ever, and for the price it might be worth a try.

5. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

For $20 bucks i'd give them a try, I bought my hideaways on ebay and so far so good. i have had good luck with stuff like this in the past. For $20 even if they only last a year you will get your money's worth. I had to extend the wires on mine, but thats not a big deal.

6. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Im thinking I will. The set I was looking at had 6 strobe boxes. Im thinking 4 on the back of my backrack and 1 on each side. I just can figure out how I would run the wiring if I got these without haing wires running all over the place.

7. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

As usual, you get what you pay for. If you are going to put the time into installing them right, why would you want to skimp on quality? :rolleyes:

8. jrjr2u

jrjr2u Senior Member

It does not say anything about being water tight.... you might have to silicone them up good to keep the water out.
    Also, it states
    Voltage: 10.5V-13.5V

Our vehicles can top 14v, maybe ask seller a question about that first.

9. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I agree, you get what you pay for. I can't see these lights being very good,

10. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I rould rarely ever use these, and therefor just cant justify spending the money on a different set, its crazy how expensive this stuff can get.

jrjr2u, I get a little confused with some of this stuff, what exactly does this mean, and if I send a message, what is it that Im asking?

11. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

You either need them or you don't. If you need warning lights than get some good ones. Don't buy some lights just because they are cheap.

12. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

All Im sayin is they are not a a requirement. I would use them if I had them, but if I didnt, my mini lightbar would be sufficient still. The setup Im lookin at has 6, 3 led boxes, and everything to mount and controll them. for under $50. to go with "good ones" whats that gonna cost? Way more than Im willing to spend.

13. jrjr2u

jrjr2u Senior Member

Actually right after I posted that I sent the seller a message asking if they are weather tight or not. If and or when I hear back I will let ya know.

There is a link to click in the auction to ask seller a question. Then you choose a rough reason for the message from a drop down, and type your question in the box. Not hard once you have done it.

I bought a set of 2 - 3 led units from Hong Kong just for grins. They work good and were only like $4. There are 2 flash patterns that are chosen by which wire you power up. They are very bright. For $4 it was worth trying them out.

Edit-
    Just heard from the seller and here is the reply-

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  14. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

15. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

The water tight issue isnt a big deal, as stated earlier, silicone would take care of that. but...this seller just ahs em listed as 12v. Im not sure. for the price I dont mind if they only last a while. Just cant make up my mind.

16. jrjr2u

jrjr2u Senior Member

Although the working voltage of our vehicles is 14 volts or so, they are still called 12 volt systems. 6 cells x 2 volts per cell. I would have to think that aspect is ok but you could ask the operating range of them when you contact the seller.

The cheap ones I got for $4 are in no way water tight, that's why I brought that up.
    These could be fine in that regard but check them over good.

17. 50chevtrk

50chevtrk Junior Member

I'm just saying you might want to check state laws i do believe you must have a flashing light even if you plow your own drive because you still have to do the end of your drive which in that case you will be backing on to a public road just a thought

18. turb0diesel

turb0diesel Senior Member

Who bought it for a penny????? and $18 for shipping
    Who ever did needs to make a video

19. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I dont have a plow on my truck, but I do use it for hauling equipment that I do use such as snowbloers and my buddies atv with a plow. I already have a whelen mini lightbar.

The seller has lots of gooy pricing like that. He had a similar strobe set for about $18 but the shipping was free.

20. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

buy american!