1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's up with the 7.5's

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by slplow, Jan 2, 2002.

1. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

My wife, daughter and I went on a trip to eastern PA over the weekend.( had a great time) When I was there I picked up the local truck trader for E PA,NJ AND MD. All the dealers that were listing were puting only 7.5 meyers on the the trucks. They were on f250s 350s d2500s and gm 2500 hds and 3500s . Whats up with that? I think a 7.5 is a pain to plow with that size of truck and in MA. all the dealers put 8fts on .

2. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy Member

i think that the 7.5 just happens to be the most common blade out there, or thats what ive noticed. our local dodge dealer puts 7.5 only on their trucks that they sell. i use a 7.5,
    myself, but other trucks in our fleet vary, 7.5 seems to be perfect for my residentials, although i miss that extra 6 inches on commercial lots

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Its the same thing ,if the local dealer here puts on a plow,90% of the time,its a 7.5 meyer,even on 1 ton trucks,the only time they will put an 8 fter on is if its a dually.

4. sidewing

sidewing Junior Member

My understanding is that there is a steadily increasing pressure from both the U.S. and Canadian governments regarding axle weights and capacities.

On many trucks (3/4 ton especially), anything over a 7.5' plow overloads the front axle, which is why many dealers are only installing 7.5' plows.

In Canada, the government just increased the required axle rating on highway plow trucks, and will be weighing and pulling off the road any over-spec trucks. This also applies to smaller trucks, apparently.

This is partly why we think Sidewing is such a good idea. It gives you all the clearing width you need without overloading your axles.

5. John DiMartino

Im sorry,but anything over a 7.5 will not overload most full size 3/4 ton trucks.All the local dealers will not install a plow on a 1/2 ton ,for stock,they wont do it.A dodge 3/4 ton gas truck can take any plow out there,rated for light trucks,so can a Ford Sd gas engine,they both have 5200 lb front ends,they can take all the V's,and staights up to 9 ft.If they are diesel's then the trucks should be reg cabs.Even the new Chevys have a 4670 lb front axle,they too can take almost any plow.There is no reason to have a 7.5 on a Ford Sd 1 ton truck,9900 GVWR,its not making full use of the trucks potential power,its like putting a 50" mower deck on a ZTR that should have a 72",its a waste.

6. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    that is why they put a 7.5 on insted of a 8 8.5 or v on the trucks that is the bottom line even thought it is a little $ like 50 or 100 but to a salesmen a $1 is worth a lesser product I've been in the car business(repair end) $$ are the bottom line

7. John DiMartino

The sad part is most of those plows get taken off anyway,a freind of my family's put these on for the local chevy dealer,he told me 1/2 the plows he puts on,come right back off.The truck buyer rarley wants the plow,and after it sits on the lot all winter,and no one buys it,they sell it without the plow,he has a few plows stacked up out side his shop al the time,brand new Meyers.IMO,few professional plow contractors would buy a Meyer plow,like me,they've owned them before,and they want a better plow,and are willing to pay a few hundred more for a better unit.

8. sledhead

sledhead Member

Most all the local dealers around me put 8ft blades on the lots.
    They even offer a choice of colors. Red or Yellow. (Western / Meyer)
    Its kind of cool to see them all lined up and color staggered.
    Red Yellow Red Yellow Red Yellow Red Yellow Red Yellow :D

Sledhead

9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

The only thing a 7.5 Meyer is good on is a Yucon or Full size Blazer. Any longer of a wheelbase, it just doesn't make sense.

Its strictly a price thing. Dealers can buy like 20 ST-90's at a time and get a good price.

For all those guys making fun of Meyer plows :( most of the weakness and lightweight issues are brought on by looking at a ST-90 (7.5) Three springer. This plow should be listed as a homeowner plow.

Meyer makes one heck of a good plow....The C-8. The only thing the same between these two plows are the spring(s) [one more] and the plow shoes. Everything else is substaintially beefier. I dont do all that much straight blade plowing anymore, but if all I did were big lots, and small roads, I'd use this plow. I've bent up a few 7.5's and seen a lot more of other peoples, but you never see a bent up c-8.

10. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I think staley hit the nail on the head. The dealer can make more money on them and I think meyer pushes them too. I know all the meyer/ dodgesno-comanders had the cheep sts on them and I think that is what gave meyer thier bad name when they should have put the c's on them.

11. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy Member

ive seen bent meyer 7.5 plows before, but i have never personally bent one. i mean nt the actual blade. broken king pin on A-frame yes.
    i wish they still made the old snocommander with meyers hydraulic(pump made by parker hannifin) instead of todays electric. never once did i have a problem with that. but, i believe thats why they dont make them anymore. couldnt sell any parts for them since they didnt break. never used any other plow than a meyers though, so i may be biased.

12. MusGuy

MusGuy Member

When talking straight blades and I emphasize this.... to have a larger blade then 7.5 or 8 is a waste. The reason why I say this is because you eliminate the opportunity to make your vehicle a multiple use plow truck. I mean my c8 plow barely makes it through the concrete bumpers of a bank full angle..... So I mean for that reason I understand 7.5 and 8s are the most popular