1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's up with CPW?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Woodland, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I was going to order some parts for my plow and went to CPW on the recomendation of some in this forum but I was shocked to find out that they want me to register before I even look at any product offerings! That's a rediculous way to operate a business. How many of you would go into a store if they required you to "sign in" before you walked through the door?? Guess I'll be going elsewhere with my buisiness.
  2. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

You would have to register when you purchased the parts anyway so it seems like they are just getting it out of the way. All they ask for is your email and for you to create a password if I rember correctly.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Like Sam's club?

Actually CPW only does that on their site during the winter season.
  4. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

lazy a** I live right by CPW and never had a problem with anything. Dont be lazy and just take the 2 minutes to sign up. O wait you actually get great specials emailed to you then FREE of charge. What a concept.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Guess Woodland doesn't want or need the emailed specials. You have time to post here but not the time to register????
  6. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Geez you guys are harsh!!:gunsfiring:
    I too have an issue w/ places that want u to register just to get a price/info on something.
    I don't want to trade my spam free e-mail for the ability to simply obtain a price on a part.
    Woodland, just call 'em instead. It IS an "800" number.:nod:
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Can't say I've ever gotten a spam email due to being a CPW customer.

They're one of the few companies that do not sell your info. :)

I'd imagine having to sign up first does have an affect on their online orders though due to the assumption.
  8. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I think you guys missed my point. I'm not a customer of theirs. If I should decide to buy something and become a customer, I would full expect to register and even recieve emails about specials. But not before I even have a chance to look around. Obviously I'm in the minority here.
  9. LJ@CPW

LJ@CPW Junior Member

I apologize your experience with our website wasn’t a pleasant one, and I understand your concern. I brought this point up in last months meeting with our web admin. The point I made to him was very similar to what you've stated here, customers should be allowed to browse the site briefly before being asked to register. The main reason for asking customers to register in the first place was to keep it exclusive to the snow & ice industry, keep competitors and spammers out, and obviously to get the registration out of the way, so then all you have to do is add what you need to cart then check out. We came to the conclusion that asking customers to register right away is probably turning some away (as it did in your case), so we decided to allow customers a limited amount of time on the site to get a feel for things before asking them to register. Look for these changes in the near future. I hope this sour experience won’t stop you from looking to us for any future Snow & Ice needs.
  10. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Woodland, I agree. With as much spam and junk that goes on around the internet I'd never register anywhere without checking things out first. If they feel they need to protect the site, prices, or whatever, that's fine as it's their site. But it's also my decision as to whether I would want to buy or not. As for keeping competitors out, they'll just sign up under a name that they wouldn't be able to identify anyway.

But, it looks like by the post above someone there realizes it's not a very inviting way to do business and is looking to get it changed. Kudos to him/her.

11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I had the same beef but because I needed cutting edges and there were none locally I bit the bullet and signed in anyways... glad I did because their price was better than the other parts dealers (tho shipping seemed really, really high).

I was not impressed that I couldn't look at the prices first.
  12. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

I live 15minutes from CPW hell they are proably sick of see me/my truck. but i still just registered in the time it took you to make your post you could have been registered and looking. i LOVE the e-mail specials i get from them saves me money! and NEVER once got spam or junk from them!
    just my 2 cents!
  13. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

CPW was great to deal with. I ordered a spinner for my salt truck and it was $50 cheaper and came right to my door.
  15. Tuxx

Tuxx Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Get a Free Catalog,order over the phone!
  16. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

correct me if im wrong but when i signed up im pretty sure i checked a box saying that i wanted them to email me monthly specials. you dont have to have the emails sent to you.
  17. LJ@CPW

LJ@CPW Junior Member

I'm glad to inform you that the preview feature has been implemented. You can now preview the site before having to register. Thanks to everyone also for the kind words! :drinkup:

P.S. - It is a 5 click preview.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  18. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

oh blah b;ah blah, just sign up, they're not asking for your SSN...
  19. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

I tried to look at some CPW hydraulic pump lines and could not get the information I wanted without registering.

I feel the same way, if I can't look first without registering, I am out of there.