1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats too heavy for a Dodge front end?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by NickColetti, Oct 9, 2011.

1. NickColetti

NickColetti Member

I am in a pickle here... i have the option of a 9'2" and a 8'2" poly Boss V and i have a much better deal worked out for the bigger blade. I have to act fast (within tonight) on which one im going to take but im worried that if i go with the 9', that it'll be to heavy for my front end. I have a 05 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.9 diesel engine. I know that the diesel engine is not helping in my weight situation, either.

I used to have a 7.5 Boss straight blade and that seemed heavy to me, but maybe it was just me.

Anyone plow with 9'2" V's with a unmodified 4x4 Dodge truck?

Any fast info would be GREATLY appreciated! Thumbs Up

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I have been running a 9'2" on my truck for 4 winters. I put about 800 lbs of sand and salt in the back of the bed and it works great. If you can get the 9'2" for less money I'd say go for it. I have no modifications to my truck other than the engine.

3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Just get the bigger plow and beef up the front end

4. NickColetti

NickColetti Member

Well as luck has it... im ending the day without either of them. Its a long story, but both guys ended up screwing me in a way so my search still continues.

One of the guys was saying how much he hated plowing with a 9' plow. He said that there were some drive-through's he was not able to make it through while plowing, along with not being able to put it completely in the V position with the curb gauge cutting edges because they scraped, and oviously the extra weight compared to the 8'. It scared me to hear it considering i have only plowed with a 7.5 straight blade on my truck.

Im still searching for a plow and i guess now after hearing JD, i may not pass a 9' up if it comes along.

Thanks, guys!

5. JDiepstra

What mods do you have on your Cummins? Just wondering what it takes to come up with those numbers. Thanks :)

6. NickColetti

NickColetti Member

Compared to some of the fellas that i hang out with on one of those Dodge forums.... my truck is still wet behind the ears!:D

The one main upgrade that i did that brought me past 400 hp was the Smarty programmer. That thing is INSANE! When i was on the rollers, i only had it set to the 60hp + timing- it goes up to 120hp (but many modifications are needed to use it).

I also have the S&B air intake, open exhaust with a straight through muffler (AeroXL), and a CFM+ intake manifold.

If only i had a upgraded transmission, i would be able to get a few other parts that would open all sorts of doors!

My goal is getting to a reliable 500hp. But who knows when ill be able to get there...

Whats goin on with your truck? What's all done to it?

7. JDiepstra

Sounds awesome man.

I also have a Smarty. I always leave it on 9 but I usually run the POD setting on 75% to cut down on smoke. I also have an MP-8 pressure box hooked up. I have an AFE intake and the AFE BladeRunner intake elbow as well. I cut off the cat and replaced the muffler with one from Silverline. I also have an Engineered Diesel turbo, 64/68/14. It keeps things below 1300 EGT almost all the time, even with the Smarty on 9. Oh yeah and don't forget about the HTS transmission, with basically every upgrade except the intermediate shaft and the output shaft. I built it up that way over a few years. Oh yeah and a full rack of gauges too make sure nothing gets out of hand hahahah Thumbs Up

8. NickColetti

NickColetti Member

Yeah... you dont sound like someone that is new to the game! Haha!

Your truck sounds mean! Have you ever put it on the rollers yet to see where you're at?

I bet that's shes a pretty wild machine to be plowing with...

9. BlackKnight07

BlackKnight07 Member

:cry: One day I'll get a Diesel might be a Car but Dammit it will be Diesel, till then i'll deal with my Gasser F150...Sad i know....

Till then, i'll just read about all the Diesel toys out there...So thank you!

10. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

I have a 8'2" V an have gone through 2 front ends under warrenty thank good. like the one guy said you better beef up your front end . other wise you will be replace tie rod ends, sway bars upper & lower ball joints Dodge front ends can not handle V plows!!!!!,

11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

^^^^^^^ There wouldn't be a difference whether there were a plow or not! Hahahaha.

As far as heavy plows are concerned, I'm going to one up everybody (including myself so far) this year and put all 1,400 lbs of a Blizzard 8611 full size on my 95 1 ton Dodge. Wish me luck.

12. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

No, Factory Dodge front end replacement parts can't handle Vplows or just driving around in general. Upgrade to Moog/XRF/Spicer/Carli/Dynatech and be done with it.

The Dodge will laugh at that plow while your pathetic GM's blow a few injectors and crack their frames just thinking about it LOL kidding! On the seventh day God didn't rest, he built Dodge Trucks- true story. :nod::bday::waving:

13. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

I have had a wideout on my 06 dodge diesel for 2 years now and have not had to replace anything yet and just had it aligned the other day the mechanic said everything is still tight on the front end.

14. NickColetti

NickColetti Member

Yeah... sounds like Dodge front ends have their weakness, but its nothing i have not heard from Ford. Everyone has their ups and down, but ill take a solid engine over everything else, any day. I come from a Ford family, but the Cummins won me over.

As far as Chevy/GM goes... i dont care how many rocks you look under- Dodge wins! :p

15. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Do you push up over curbs??

Fords have a hell of a lot beefier front end then dodge or chevy's do. I have not heard anyone really complain about have to mod there ford front ends up.

16. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Wanna bet? I do ;)

And I disagree. Dodges are pretty equal when they're new. Both get weaker with miles and age and start to sag. Have you driven a newer Dodge? My buddie has an 07 and I was pretty impressed. It's pretty stout.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  17. muddbog

muddbog Junior Member
    from Germany

I've got an 07 Mega cab 1500 5.7 hemi with a 2011 8' 6" Western MVP Plus, all Mega cabs have the same frame, drivetrain, suspension as the 2500's. I do think the Mega has soft ride springs in it though. I did install Firestone Level-rite Air shocks in the front as I had a lot of sag... wonder why... I also upgraded the Steering linkage to the cummins linkage. Ball joints are next.

18. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Its not soft ride springs, etc its the fact that you basically have a quad cab long bed truck - the longest/heaviest version of that truck available. Factor that in, then toss a plow on it and it will sag more than a regular quad cab/short bed truck.

And Yes I know the Mega Cab has a 6' box, my point is merely the size/length of the frame & truck itself.

19. muddbog

muddbog Junior Member
    from Germany

that was somewhat a joke... LOL That friggen plow is heavy!

20. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa