1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats this part called?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snowguys, Dec 14, 2011.

1. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

hey guys i have a 92 f250 7.3 diesel its a back truck of mine so with the no snow here i wanna fix some things on it but i cant figure out what this part is called if you look in the pics im looking to figure whats is that gold rod called i thought it was the idle control motor but i guess not what is happening is if you let off the gas to fast the truck will die but start right back up that gold rod does move so im thinking it has to be somthing with that any help i can get would be great

motor1.jpg

motor 2.jpg

2. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

The flux capacitor?

3. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

The flux capacitor? i have no idea what that even is lol i belive that gold rod controls the throttle cable when it comes down and thats why the truck is dieing out couse its going down to fast aka not working but i dont know what it is called lol

4. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

That is a solenoid that gives a higher idle RPM until things are warmed up. IIRC it bumps it up about 2-300 RPM over the normal idle speed.

Is the stalling occurring any time, or just when it's cold?

One thing that happens on these trucks is the internals of the injection pump sometime gum up, if you take the fuel filter off, fill it with a good additive (Diesel Kleen is one a lot of guys like), put it on, start it up for about 10-15 seconds, and then shut it off, ideally overnight. Next day fire it up again, and then take it for a drive (drive it like you stole it!) and see if that helps. About half the time that cleans them up a lot and improves how they run.

5. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

its stalling anytime you let off the gas real fast cold or hot but if you let off slow it wont stall out

6. greywynd

Try the diesel kleen as I suggested, the internal governor in the injection pumps is known to get sticky over time and cause issues just like you're describing. A new fuel filter may not be a bad idea while you're at it if it hasn't been swapped out in a while.

7. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

we did just replace the fuel filter but ill put the diesel kleen in it and see how is goes the truck did sit alot last winter and all summer

8. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

Sorry I shouldn't have posted. Anytime I can't figure out what something is I call it the flux capacitor. it's what makes time travel possible.Well according to Back to the Future.. Again I'm sorry...

9. greywynd

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

That is funny !
    They need Warp Drive listing:
    Was that built before Sept / 23 / 4035? or after.Two crystal or 3 with cryo cool?
    Twenty million dollar core charge.MUST BE REBUILDABLE CORE! No cracks or battle damage! Three day delivery by UPS, earth Galaxy only.

11. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Get your SCA's checked in the anti-freeze also.

These motors were originally a 6.9, but they just bored them out. The 7.3 has a thinner cylinder wall and are prone to cavitation.

The SCA's, when at the correct level, help prevent cavitation from happening.

12. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

you think the SCA's in the anti-freeze could make the truck die like that?

or you just saying i should just check it out

13. greywynd

The SCA's have nothing to do with your current issue, it is however good to have it looked after.

14. White Gardens

Just check it out. The dieing issue is probably fuel related.

If you've got 1/4 of a tank of fuel or less and it happens, then it might be the pick-up tubes in the tanks. They tend to break off.

You might have a hole in a fuel line somewhere.

The injection pump would be my next guess as to why it's dieing.

Sitting for a long time might have caused Algae to grow in the tank also, along with sludge in the fuel system.

15. greywynd

All of those are possibilities, but why not start with the simplest, cheapest options first? Also every thing that he tries will be feedback on other possible causes. The dying issue IS fuel related, it's the only variable that can be removed from an already running IDI that will let it stop.

Now it's just a matter of eliminating possibilties, and I tend to start with the easy, cheap options, and go from there depending on results.

16. White Gardens

Simplest would be to first check the Fuel Shutoff plunger in the IP. I'd check the wires running to it and make sure your getting a good current there.

17. greywynd

Again, it's a possibility, but in my experience it's a small one. Currently I have 5 of these engines, and have worked on lots more, and I've never had a FSS issue like this is being described. I suspect it's the IP governor sticking, which is a common issue, and most times clears up with a dose of cleaner. If that clears it up we're good to go, if not we'll work through the possibilities from there.

18. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Some people seem to think they already know the answer to their question regardless of what you suggest:dizzy:

19. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

Wow thank you for the advise we did as you said and it's like a new truck thank you again

20. greywynd

Glad to hear you got it sorted out....it's a pretty common issue with those injection pumps. Let me know if you have any other issues with it, if I can't help you out I have some really good resources that should be able to help.