1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats this extra wire for on the right?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by 20Silverado05, Jan 23, 2010.

1. 20Silverado05

20Silverado05 Senior Member

2. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

it isolates the strobe heads to minimize the interference that they can put out over the trucks radio
    i would reccomend grounding all of them at the power supply but you dont have to.. even with mine grounded the cb will pick up teh strobes somtimes (counds like the blaster guns in starwars for lack of a better explanation)

3. oh8chevy2500

oh8chevy2500 Senior Member

its of no use...unless its real high current going thru the wires which a strobe pack doesnt push u can ground that wire and it reduces rf from the strobe cables as in a shielded wire .... i usually always snip it at the coatin

4. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

Yup, I have never had to use them either. I always snip them to prevent any short circuits.

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

They work good to secure the wires to the truck while you are trying to run the wires also. Basically secure the one end with that wire. Then start feeding the wire to where you want it.

6. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I agree that it should be grounded and only at the controller side. Your controller should also be grounded.

7. SafetyLighting

Yeah, especially since if you don't ground the "controller", your strobes won't work.

:cool:

8. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I thought the metal looking wire was for opening the casing further if needed? Learned something new again.

9. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

As mentioned, it's a shielding wire, and is meant to be grounded. The high voltage used can interfere with radios and vehicle electronics. A number of years ago here in Minneapolis, a police van took off unexpectedly and ran over several people. The cause was determined to be ungrounded strobe cables interfering with the drive-by-wire throttle. I don't run any strobes any more (all LED), but ALWAYS grounded them when installing.

10. SafetyLighting

Unless you are referring to an additional incident in Minneapolis, that incident was caused by a tailight flasher. Strobes did not have anything to do with it.

11. SafetyLighting

Taken from FindLaw.com:

12. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

As everyone else said.

In the instructions you will see they say to cut the excess off at the strobe head but to gound the wire at the controller side.

13. Mstrfxit12

Mstrfxit12 Junior Member

This problem doesn't seem to be a strobe or LED issue either way. It seems like it was a traffic backer, backflasher or other similar device flashing the back up lights and brake lights. Its been recommended not to put these in newer vehicles for quite some time.
    sorry SafetyLighting. didn't see your post uner your quote.

14. SafetyLighting

No problem. :drinkup:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  15. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

look at the bottom of the bar near where the cable goes in. there is a screw. that metal wire is bolted on there. its the ground wire for the bar (shield wire) so its not a bad idea to ground it to something but it isnt required.

16. SafetyLighting

What are you talking about?