1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what's the worst part of being a business owner

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by birddseedd, Jan 25, 2014.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

For me. Its not having time with my little girl

2. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Your always on the clock. Can't just not think and worry about it when you go home like other lines of work.

3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Do things right, make sure you have a 5 year goal, and eventually you'll have extra time on your hands....

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Dealing with customers.

5. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

lately it's been employees…i've always heard other business owners ***** about employees and i never had that big of a problem with it, but lately i've been very frustrated…you have to remember, your business is only as good as your employees

6. die4irish

die4irish Junior Member
    from nw ohio

paying taxes

7. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I wanna go on vacation..just once

8. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Didn't you start a thread like this awhile back saying you didn't get to spend time with your daughter? Stop chatting here and go spend some time with her.

9. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Employees breaking stuff cause they beat on it so bad.

10. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing:

11. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Well family comes first, I'm the boss and I cant say I mist very many sport events.

I may work longer hours then most but I always find time for my kids and now grand kids.

Winter time I have more time spend with them then summer since there always a down time during winter time, not much in summer time.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

So how do you have so much time for PS?

Priorities, I guess.

13. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

Amen to that!

14. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Same here, we do one in August but I'd like to go on a at least a weekend ski trip without worrying about the weather.

15. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

It's time for another Tea Party!

16. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

I hate the paperwork. I am a one man shop. Having congress make a law that gives us 32 or 36 hours in a day would be a huge help.

17. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

:nono:

Stop making perfect sense.... PLEASE !!!

18. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

Back on topic.

Worst thing about being a business owner ????

Hmmmmmm ??????

Well, I can honestly say that there's not anything worse about being a business owner that can't be topped by being an employee of some Jack a mole. So I can't say that anything is the "worst", as I really enjoy being the director of my own path.

The reason some of us go into business is because of the frustration of having to work under the thumb of another person who never appreciates you, or the work / service you provide their company. I spent 20 years working for other people and I can say that I would never go back under my own free will.

In reality, I have nearly 90 bosses, and one of them is my wife. The difference is that I can fire any one of them when I choose to, for whatever reason, and without providing cause. I've fired 4 customers over the last year alone, and I've had some fire me....although due to pricing of cheap, uninsured competition, and not of my own doing.

If I had to say something I hated ? Poor economy, and tire kickers who attempt to utilize my knowledge for their gain, without actually hiring me, that actually get away with it. Although, It doesn't happen often anymore, it was a real shock to find that I was being used for the simple purpose of finding out how to do something, and have them provide someone else that info to get the job done.

Summary: Being used .....without compensation.

19. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

Mobile phone. Doesn't take much time

20. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Now thats a Masshole talking.