1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats the Ultimate Driveway Truck ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RLM, Sep 6, 2011.

1. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

As I have expanded my business I am forced to make a choice, either continue growing geographiclly or grow my client base (expand greater into residentials). I currentlly purchased (is sitting at the dealer) a tractor/inverted blower combo to start experimenting with this season.
    As we market to residentials, I realize I will need to add equipment, most likely utilizing tractor/blowers in densest areas, & truck/plows in less dense areas.
    Now for my question. I have always mainly utilized 3/4 or 1 ton trucks (I have a Jeep wrangler we are adding to the fleet this year as well)., either reg or ex cabs, now with all Fisher V plows. Do I stay with what I know (3/4 ton reg cabs) or change it up ? How much tighter can a 1/2 ton reg cab/short box turn ? Other imput, keep in mind I'm looking for production & manuverability in the unit, my commercial work is set, & we use loaders on our larger lots any way.

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

1/2 ton, regular cab, shortbox Chevy with torsion bars cranked, Timbrens installed, and 8' or 8.5' Western Pro Plow... The ultimate!

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Fixed it.....

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Having used both FS pickups (shortbed) and jeeps I plow only with jeeps for the last 20+ years. I have 2 jeeps and plow over 100 large driveways in upscale town. Dont know about tractor/blower combo. my jeeps out perform the trucks 2 to 1. many of my drives cant be done with a truck to customers satisfaction.

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

The ultimate driveway truck would have to have a back blade on it. Otherwise known as a pull plow. Ebling and Daniels seem to be popular these days.

6. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Haha! Thanks!

I always say it's too hard to see out of a Tahoe...

Of course, I plow with an extended cab 3/4 ton diesel. :D

We do use a lot of 1/2 to shortboxes though.

7. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, works AWESOME, just my 2 cents

8. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

How big are the driveways? If they are narrow then a jeep is probably the best but not very useful in the off season.IMHO. A shortbed truck standard cab with a 7.5' and has some use in the off season and is still maneuverable in tight areas also has some use on small lots as a backup. Lot of variables that you don't mention.

9. eric35_scotts

eric35_scotts Junior Member

Try putting a three point hitch on your hitch receiver and use a rear mounted box scraper. works just like a back blade. a little bit heavier but at the same time makes cleanup easier. i did notice the only problem i had was it put a lot of wear on my battery. so may need either an accessory battery or a bigger one for your truck. my favorite plow truck was a 1997 ford F-150 short flare bed with the 4.6. a 7.5 western ultramount and a box scraper on the rear. a heavy rig for a half ton but VERY EFFECTIVE

10. Landgreen

Landgreen Member

I agree. Whatever vehicle you decide on a backblade is a must for increasing your productivity. An ebling with hydraulic wings is the ticket

11. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

broncos are always a great driveway option also.

12. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Back in the day many moons ago.....We had 5 Toyota SR5 Pick-ups with Fisher 6'-7" Plows on Front and Box Blades on the rear...These trucks were Driveway Plowing Machines...The routes we ran them were tight and in this area 90% of the walks needed to be Shoveled....So each truck had a Driver and a Shoveler.....Each Truck had a route of 60-70 Driveways.....

13. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Driveway, Jeep by far.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  14. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

I love my jeep and have put alot of hard miles on it plowing for the past 15 years. that being said, I got a bad valve knock on my motor this winter and got in my 01 Ram standard cab shortbed and I was happy with it. Jeep are great machines for plowing driveways especially cirles and tight turns.

the problem is you usually have to do so much to make the jeep plowable and relaible that you can buy a mint dodge 1500 for around 6500 and put a plow on it and go. I like the pre 01s as they have coil springs in the front and solid axle. compared to the newer models that have torsion bars or independent suspension.

I put a bigger trans cooler, trans temp gauge, 33"BFGs, heavy duty altenator, 2" spacer lift front and back, bigger shocks and a louvered tailgate to see through(works great in tight conditions like driveways) and these 2 trucks have been doing very well for me for the past 4 years.

DSCN1935.jpg

15. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ya your right

Aaaaah Lets see 2000 jeep wrangler, air shocks, weight in the back, trans cooler, duel batteries, Blizzak tires, plow

yup way to much work

the only extra because it is a jeep is the air shocks... except most of you fuss with the front end of your BIG trucks anyways (add a leaf, timbrins, crank the "T" bars...)

16. Stan

Stan Senior Member

This is what I had before I graduated to commercial. 1977 CJ-7 with a Wrangler body powered by a 350 Chevy

DSCF0039.jpg

17. Marauder92V

Marauder92V Junior Member

Jeeps

Absolutely love my Jeep for driveways (especially the turned ones). You will need something to support the front end. I am using a set of Air Lift air bags. The first set lasted me 11 years.

Only thing I wish I had was a bit more backdragging capability on my Meyer's blade.

18. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

a four-wheel drive tractor (about 50-65 hp) with a straight 8-foot plow with ears on the front and a reverse snowblower on the 3-point hitch

19. mikeplowman

mikeplowman Senior Member

dodge ram w/ short box w/straight blade w/ back drag blade w/back rack set-up w/ warning light and two bright back-up lights......ahhhhThumbs Up perfect

20. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Jeeps are the best for an Average driveway. Until you get 10" of snow! After that you're screwed!

Take the folling info or leave it....

why would you want to expand more into resi driveways?? What i do for my HUGE accounts is get a contract signed for 3+ years. That guarantees you get paid and such. I only have 3 accounts that have done that so far...If i get a few more i'm going to drop driveways all together. But once you drop them there is a REAL slim chance you will get them back so be careful!

I shouldnt say it like that because i used to have over 250+ resi drives....

Now i have a strict 20 limit and do 90% commercial.