1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats the true weight of a yard

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by 08F3506.4L, Feb 28, 2008.

1. 08F3506.4L

08F3506.4L Member

How much is a yard?
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

9 cubic feet:confused:
  3. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

actually it's 27 c.f.

but i think he was asking the weigh

that is an easy one to answer you just need to give me more info like what size of rock salt, where was the salt mined at, and what was the EXACT. moisture content?
  4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

A yard is 27 cubic feet lol
  5. speedy

speedy Senior Member

6. 08F3506.4L

08F3506.4L Member

ROCK SALT sorry for not having more details. The reason I ask is that we bought a new truck and want to know whats the biggest salter we can put on it. Thanks for the help
  7. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I assume you have an 08 F350? You can get a 2 yard salter... maybe a little more, but check your door panel for weight info. A yard is around a ton.
  8. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

???? The question was how much does it weigh???? :confused:

2160 pounds per cubic yard (per the Salt Institute)
  9. jkowal

jkowal Junior Member

Weight of a yard is about 1 ton

27 cu ft x 75lbs/cu ft = 2025 lbs

ton = 2000 lbs
    yard = 2025 lbs

salt can have a different wight depending on moisture and/or other parts
  10. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I prefer buying by the yard because you often do a little better due to heaping piles.
  11. 08F3506.4L

08F3506.4L Member

yes i have a 08 f 350 but we just traded in our 06 for a 08 f450 with a flat bed. I belive it can hold something like 9300 lbs.
  12. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I wonder how many times a year this is asked, in a new post ?
    A yard of salt varys by how wet is is.
    Any were from 1300#--1800#, so a ton is way off.
    Dont forget to account for the spreader in your calculations.
  13. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Besides the weight of the salt spreader itself I think you also need to consider the weight of the body your putting on the truck also (flatbed, etc.)
    I believe 2000/yd is actually very close. I usually get around 3000 lbs in my salt dogg and it says in the literature that it holds 1.45 cu. yds.
    As stated above there will be a considerable diff. depending on moisture content, particle size, what day of the week you load it, what phase the moon is in etc. etc.!!!!(well maybe not, but you know what I mean)
  14. Runner

Runner Senior Member

we have fund out that since putting dry bagged salt in the vbox hopper, that with this real dry salt (even as fine as it is), that a pallet (2400#) is REAL close to two yards. This gives us an idea of just how much difference the moisture content can make.
  15. jkowal

jkowal Junior Member

yards vs tons

Wow that just baffles me, never heard anything that far off. let me try....

2400 lbs (pallet weight) / 75 lbs (cubic foot) = 32 cubic ft

32 cubic ft / 27 cubic ft (in a yard) = 1.1 yards

I believe the calculation should be more like this...
  16. Runner

Runner Senior Member

It is probably the 75 lbs. per cubic ft. theory where it goes wrong and so far off. Maybe true for for solid salt or some densities of granule, but not here. I am willing to bet that 75 lbs. of real dry salt is more than a cubic ft.. If we take an 80# bag for instance, which is only a hair more than 75 lbs., I am confident that there is well more than the cubic ft. there...especially when poured and not compacted.
  17. prostock07

prostock07 Junior Member

let me try

4-5 guys that know they're right + everybody else being wrong = 10-12 posts and i still don't know:dizzy:

most guys up here run upto 2 yard hoppers in thier 3/4 ton and up to 3 yards on thier flatbed duellies.weight wise i don't want to get involved:cool:
  18. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Maybe I'll need to take pictures of the vbox in the back of the pickup (Airflo stainless), and how many bags we put into it before and after. lol :D
  19. WhiteOut1979

WhiteOut1979 Junior Member

Actually we just did this today.... took an empty mason dump....weighed it.... put 2 yards of corse salt in to it ....weighed it again..... took the tare weight and to everyones surprise, it was over 5500 pounds of salt.... that means that each yard was 2750 pounds, wet salt, dry salt, corse salt, fine, salt, impureitites, there are so many varibles, one may never know how much a yard of any given kind of salt weighs on any given day.... GOOD LUCK
  20. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

Sand is 2500-2800# per yd. depending on moisture.