1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's the trick....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Brant'sLawnCare, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

So, what's the trick to plowing driveways? I've been practicing, and I'm having a little trouble. The hardest part is pushing the snow onto the grass. Hard to see when your about to rip it up. Any tricks you guys have or anything? I'm starting at 3 am tomorrow, so any advice would be great.
  2. TwistedMetal

TwistedMetal Member

had the same problem as you Brant..i was using my F350 with a western MVP..my truck was way to big for the small drives..just put a snoway on my Wrangler hoping this year is easier on me..i found that if i stacked the snow near the very end of the drive..then went back with the blade raised a bit i was able to push the snow back to make room for the next storm..but like you im still learning.
  3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

If the driveways are marked use the markers to now when to lift the blade prior to going off the driveway, if not marked you'll have to get out and find the edge of the driveway before you plow but make sure you lift the blade and go slow when your at the edge, hope this helps.
  4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Practice, thats about all I can think of. I would rather lift too early then late.
  5. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

right as im about to hit the grass i just tap the blade up alittle..usealy it does the trick...but somtimes it catches, luckly i've only done this to familys yards so it doesnt matter haha.

im actuly pretty lucky that most of the driveways up here have a place off to the side for snow.
  6. haligan125

haligan125 Member
    from Maine

Those are all useful tips. I wouldnt beat myself up too much for ripping sod up. It is going to happen. Just replace it in the spring. Thats what we do when we get our wings over a little too much.
  7. tinymitymo

tinymitymo Member

Most folks around here expect a little yard damage......

Keep the blade up an inch or two until the ground is frozen...

Then you shouldn't have too many problems:salute:
  8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

There is usually a small ridge where the pavement ends, Caused by the driveway melting a little while the lawn accumulates when you get there raise the plow as you push. AND make sure you push the snow FAR back so there is room for snow from the next storm.
  9. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I have the same problem. Plowed for the first time today and i figure that most driveways are raised at the sides on the end. I just lift the plow a couple inches when i feel that incline. Like it was said before...better to lift to early than to late
  10. Brant'sLawnCare

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was out plowing for 14 hours today, and I finally got the hang of it. I was kinda worried last night, and early this morning, but after the first few, they started getting easier. And this was some really heavy wet sloppy snow. It will usually only take us about 7 hours. That's how bad it was!
  11. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

u have enough work to plow for 14 hrs and ur still worried about rippin up grass? hmm gonna have to think about that one. practice time will only make that easyer cause as conditions change like u get a little ice under ur tires ur slide will tear the grass with the plow just take ur time do it right
  12. Brant'sLawnCare

Yeah, I'm having a really great first year, as far as picking up accounts go. I turned down more that I picked up. Not enough money to buy another truck yet. Plus another landscaping company that I've been working part time for since I was 15, has a real nice owner, and he got me a bunch of jobs. He just gave me a few more, because he just realized that he's in over his head. Now about ripping up the grass, I just don't want to be know as "the guy that rips up your grass while plowin" lol Know what I mean?
  13. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

DONT LAUGH>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I adjust my seat to a higher setting when i start getting tired. with sweatshirts.cause i dont have them fancy lumbars and stuff.
  14. Brant'sLawnCare

I have those in my old truck, but not my new one. They can be pretty nice.
  15. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

get as close as you can without hitting it. i have realized that driveways (at least the ones i was doing today) takes more concentration and precision than the commercial work i did before. Dont forget to plow out the mailbox. that way even if you frig up the lawn they are happy the mailbox is plowed out so the mailman will deliver the mail. you can charge extra for it too. :D
  16. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Almost every driveway I had took a different technique. Some were all pushing and some took a little back dragging. As far as grass goes, I was so used to all the drives after 10 years of doing them that I never needed markers. Try not to leave big banks at the edge of the drive and street. It can make it hard for your customer to see when pulling out of the driveway. I never got too close to garages either when back dragging. I left a good two feet and shoveled the rest out of the way or behind the plow. I'd rather be safe and spend an extra minute or two if shoveling makes it safer and a neater job.
  17. Brant'sLawnCare

Yeah, this is what I do also. I have 2 shovelers with me, as all the jobs that I have require shoveling and plowing.
  18. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Are you a complete wingnut or do you just play one on TV? Have you actually charged people extra for this?
  19. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

well. i could charge less and not plow the mailbox, do one pass and not try to scrape it after. not wait for them to move their cars and just plow around them. i like to think i put in extra effort so i want to be paid a little extra. and yeah. i charge extra. i dont break it down and tell them that but i do charge more on some of these than other people around here would.
  20. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

I used to live in WB not far from the ski hill. The problem is really only bad in the early and late season when the ground is soft (or if you get one of those freak winters where it doesn't get too cold). Once frozen, the blade pretty much rides up over the grass. In spring , you visit each site and roll the welcome mats back down into their spots.

The best advice I saw was to make sure you stack far enough back. Easy to get fooled and then it doesn't melt and you get snow after snow and nowhere to push. BTDTBTTS.