1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's the secret for plowing a dirt drive /7 not blowing the "C" valve

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by wsmm, Feb 22, 2011.

1. wsmm

wsmm Member

How can you keep the plow from digging in on a dirt drive. Lately here we just had a thaw and then an 8" snow. Plowing driveway and the blade dug in or droped into an ice patch real quick at a realitivelty slow speed. As a result, took out the "C" valve on my Meyers plow.

How can I prevent this from happening, other than not plowing?

2. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

Pave the driveway... lol, sorry I had too

My suggestion is cut a slit into a 3" PVC pipe and fit it to your cutting edge. Should prevent it from cutting in.... Or you can back blade the trouble spots...
  3. just plow it

just plow it Senior Member

Adjust your shoes so your cutting edge is farther off the dirt and don't drop your plow all the way, keep the down pressure or weight off the plow and more on your front tires.
  4. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

I 2nd the pipe slit down the middle and attached to the blade....
  5. magik235

magik235 Senior Member

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

keep the plow raised a bit off the ground. it may leave some areas unlevel if the driveway has dips or drops
  7. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Tap the up button on the controller and plow your driveway...shouldn't be a big deal at all. Full angle to either side will also help keep it from augering in too easily.

Digging in and tripping should be a part of the normal operation of a plow on a dirt drive...it is on mine anyways. It should not be blowing out valves on you though, I would suspect that that was a part that had reached its life expectancy and all it took was that small impact to kill it...probably would have blown out on you in the next storm or two.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011