1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whats the right peace of equipment for this lot?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CashinH&P, Jun 2, 2015.

1. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

I am working with the owner of this property to provide snow services. We do his home and placing a bid here is nearly a formality at this point. The previous contractor used a bobcat (I do not know what model) but they were not happy with his services. He had trouble moving the snow to the areas where snow storage is permitted. he also did not plow several parking areas at all the entire winter. It is a hotel, with 2.1 acres of parking lot. I'm debating a skid or a compact loader, or a loader backhoe. All of the snow has to be pushed to the bottom right and the top left corner. The machine will be working in conjunction with a truck and v plow.

Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 4.47.48 PM.jpg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

2 pieces of equipment is overkill IMO especially if you have to haul a skid or loader. I do a couple lots that are that size and bigger with one truck with a V-Plow w/wings that require snow to be stacked in opposing corners like what you described. I would feel confident in clearing that lot in less than an hour up to about 6"

3. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

This season will be my first with a v plow, so I am defiantly going to have a larding curve with it. They really want to have a peace of equipment on site, nov-mar) as part of the contract. I am also looking to pick up other commercial properties in the area and a machine will come in handy for larger snow falls. The rest properties, I am very confident in doing with a truck though. This particular lot is much tighter and has more restrictions on snow storage then lots I have done in the past.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

F250 with a Boss v plow.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ram 2500 with a SnowEx.

6. grandview

Dodge 1500 with a Curtis

7. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Toyota with a 6' snoway

8. grandview

9. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

If that property is bid for a piece of equipememt, you would outbid yourself on it. We do many property's similar in size and scope and it's no more than a hour. Pull out any open spots around the building then run around in circles opening and closing your vee as to not pile snow behind cars then clean up corners and edges. Hour to a hour and a quarter at most

10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I went to a V 2seasons ago and there's no much of a learning curve and I'm old so don't worry about that. If having a piece of equipment parked on the lot is a requirement make sure the understand it comes at a cost and make sure the numbers work for you. It would be good know why they think they need equipment on site.

11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

White Ram?

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

:popcorn::popcorn:

13. Mark Oomkes

Doesn't matter as long as it's a Cummings. Thumbs Up

14. Mark Oomkes

Seriously OP, either do it with a skidsteer or truck. You don't need both unless you're from Missouri.

15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Are you referring to E.E. Cummings the Poet or Elijah Cummings the US Representative (D) from Maryland....:confused:

Or Philly :rolleyes:

16. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

If you have to dedicate a skid or the like to that lot I don't see how your gonna turn a profit, unless the owners have deep pockets and don't care what they spend. Is this a seasonal or per event?

17. AUDRAIN PLOWER

AUDRAIN PLOWER Member

In missouri we dont do it for free ! Good luck boys

18. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I can't imagine someone considering putting more than a truck in that lot. If you can't get the snow to where it needs to go with a v plow and wings there, you've got no business plowing snow.

The only reason that lot would have a piece of equipment of any kind is if it happened to be along one of my machine routes and not a truck route.

19. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

yeah i'd say a dedicated owned/rented skid steer and 10' box is overkill but if it pays right go for it.. I'd do it with a truck and v plow or something like that would be fine, thats nothing to plow since you're not plowing the entire lot every time you make a pass.. honestly unless there is a monster blowing storm for 12hrs, a skid operator will be sitting around more than he's doing anything.

So truck plow it or use a skid steer and 8-10' box.

20. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

why a Vee with wings, everyone says a WO/XLS or whatever SnowEx calls the new plow will push more snow.....