1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's the right equipment for the job

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Gr8WhiteNorth, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

I have decided to purchase equipment to do my own salt/sand spreading on parking lots and short private lanes. What type of spreader would you guys recommend for the following property types and volume? (receiver hitch type vs. truck box type vs. large truck type)

Around 50 commercial which are small to medium sized lots. The lots range in size from your typical fast food chain to a few wide open 3 hour push with a truck plow. Our plow trucks are 3/4 tons with slip tanks in the back so I don't know what we can fit. Dump trucks are single axle with 20,000lb box capactity.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions
  2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Look at the Smith spreaders, I run 2 of them, they make anything from small V boxes to muni size. I believe it www.smithspreaders.com
  3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

a 5-10 yard v box for your dump truck....i'd stay away from the smaller ones(1-2yd) only because you'll spend too much time filling them and if you buy a used unit you can get a bigger SS spreader with lots of life left in it for $1000 or so...
  4. Jay brown

here is a pic of ours.... got this spreader for $750

5. lmarine

lmarine Member

big hitch mount poly works fine just need a guy in the back feeding it on the big lots and then you are buying bag salt wich cost more. a vbox is great just keep up on maitiance and clean it, we load 3 ton in ours on a 2500 gmc pu xtra springs installed and do five locations in no time
  6. Jay brown

he's doing 50 lots though
  7. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

kind of a weird question. You have 50 big lots and dont know what you need for salting??

Tailgate hitch mount should not have even come out of this guys mouth. I say 2 Western Icebreakers 3-4yd model or two of the Buyer spreaders 4.5 yd
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Right. Sounds like you need a big dump truck!
  9. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

I have previously subbed everything out so I didn't have to think about it....but now I'm having quality issues and don't want to risk what I have built up for a client list over someone else's sloppy work. Also, I was considering multiple tailgate spreaders...one on every plow truck. But I do agree, larger truck spreader probably makes more sense at this volume.

Superior L&L- Check my original thread- small to medium sized lots if it makes a difference.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2008