1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's the problem?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by HEStufrthnnails, Dec 29, 2011.

1. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

OK guys. I was running down the road ,no hint of any problems and it just quit. What could it be or anyone else have this happen? It's a o1" Dodge k2500 ,5.9 gasser.

2. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

LMAO the problem is you have given us no clues. Do this and get back to us

1. Ignition switch off
    2. Press and hold the trip reset knob
    3. Turn the ignition switch to on but do not start.
    4. Hold the reset knob for approx 10 seconds or until the word
    CHEC appears in the display then release.

then tell us the codes I think 999 is end code

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

K2500? Ok....

4. HEStufrthnnails

Thanks there Mr. Plow. I wish I had more clues to give ya. Lol I did go check the code as you said and it showed all 8's(88888.8). I gave it a shot of gas in the throttle body and still no fire.hum?

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I would guess your coil died.

6. HEStufrthnnails

I was thinking the same thing. Is there just the one coil?

7. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Not a dodge expert(or even a Dodge novice), does it have a distributor cap? If yes it has one coil, if not it has coil packs. Hard to believe 8 coil packs would quit at once. I would think it has one coil and distributor cap.

8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Fuel pump took a dump. Get a fuel pressure tester and a spark tester.

9. HEStufrthnnails

Thats a good question Kimber. I'm not real familiar with this truck and by no means a mech. guru just fix'in as I go,learning all the way.Lol I'm going to look into that though. Now Banksy if its the fuel pump wouldn't adding fuel straight into the throttle body allow it to start? Because I tried that with no success.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  10. HEStufrthnnails

I did see the one coil on the front right side of engine,but I didn't see the dist. I know on my 95" the dist is way in back. A real pain to get to.

11. michiganmech

michiganmech Junior Member

dist. is in the back of the motor. i would start with the coil its easy to get to and isnt that expensive. if you still dont get spark i would go toward a crank sensor located on the pssenger side back of the motor kinda a pita to get to. it read the crank to get its signal for spark.

12. HEStufrthnnails

Here's the update. I did replace the ign. coil and still no fire. Even tried the priming the TB with no improvement. So I guess the crank sensor,and cap/rotor's next. And it's snowing. We got about 3/4-1" now,and more to fall.

13. beb

beb Junior Member

I have a 98 Dodge ram 1500 with a 5.9liter running a western 7.5 foot pro plow. Since I owned the truck, I have had it do the same thing. Driving down the road it just quit. A year and a half it did the same thing. Both times it was the ign coil on the front side of the engine. I think it is a poor location for the coil. Now I am going to carry a spare.

14. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Got spark??

15. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Check the fuses. Blew a fuse last year. After changing the crank senser, I found a bad fuse in the cab. Truck just quit right in the middle of a driveway. Had it towed to the shop all for a fuse.

16. HEStufrthnnails

I will check the fuse box. Wouldn't that be something if that was all it is . Thanks for the advice.

17. HEStufrthnnails

Oh and DMW it doesn't seem to have any spark. I'll hold the plug wire and have the wife roll it over. She probably would enjoy that.Lol No but seriously,I didn't check for spark,but after removing air box I used gas and a little starting fluid figuring that if any spark the starting fluid would surely have ignited. Wouldn't it?

18. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

First off, turn the key on (dont try starting), listen to see if you hear the fuel pump kick on... If you hear nothing, your pump is dead.

If your fuel pump kicks on, and you have already replaced the coil... Pull and check every fuse in both fuse panels (drivers side dash, and underhood)...

If all checks out ok.... Cap and Rotor for sure, might as well replace wires and plugs while your at it...

19. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

With a no start it is one of three things. Fuel, spark or timing. Simpily eliminate each one till you find the culprate and go from there.

From what I have read I'm thinking no spark. You need to determine if the issue is in the distribitor or in a operating system (crank sensor). Typically a engine will never just drop dead due to distributor issues, so start looking at the things that run in conjuction with spark.

20. rammanriley

rammanriley Junior Member

When you push down on the shradder valve on the fuel rail test port does it spray? if it doesnt then start checking fuses. if all fuses check out ok then make sure you have power at the fuel pump itself. if you do then it needs a fuel pump. smack the fuel tank with a rubber mallet while someone cranks the engine over it will prob start but not for to long.