1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's the problem now?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by saynow, Nov 17, 2008.

1. saynow

saynow Junior Member

I have a 2000 gmc 2500 cc that I noticed today is leaking water. It's coming from the 2 hoses that go into the firewall. Right below the hoses is a 90 deg. nipple pointing down. This is where the water is leaking. Could this be a heater core going out? I also noticed that my coolant overflow is not reading anything now, checked it 2 weeks ago it was at cold. If this is a heater core, is it a PIA to replace?:angry:

2. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i would say its the heater core leaking. check the hoses and make sure they are leaking. sometimes the end of hoses wear and they leak. its a easy thing to do the heater core

3. mcginner

mcginner Junior Member

If it is clean water it is condensation from the Evaporator cores for the A/C. The A/C system will still run if the vent is selected on defrost. They do this to remove moisture from the air. It is also for warm air on the cold day because A/C runs at +2 degrees C.

4. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds believeable to me :nod:

5. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

mcginner Has it right.

6. saynow

saynow Junior Member

Hey Mcginner, I don't get it. I'm not that smart but maybe another explanation would help me. Why then is my coolant overflow not visible anymore? It was at the cold level 2 weeks ago, now it's gone. Should I just flush and fill the coolant then? Thanks

7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Not if you have a leak. :confused: You'll just piss it back out. Fix the problem, then re fill it. :nod:

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

I have access to Chilton online for that truck if you need diagrams.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I can pretty much guarantee you its the heater core leaking and not the hoses or just water draining from the evaporator core.

It wouldn't have used the entire capacity of the coolant tank in two weeks (which is well over a gallon) unless it has a rather major leak...and if it's leaking from the evaporator drain (elbow on the firewall) it's coming from a leaky heater core. :nod:

10. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

no offence but how does this make sense. he has lost fluid from his coolant overfill and sees a watery type fluid leaking from the heatercore area and you think his a/c evap core is leaking? i can understand that it may be leakin but the coolant overfill is empty, those 2 items dont relate to each other.

11. mcginner

mcginner Junior Member

He did not anywhere say watery type solution. And I said clean water from condensation not from a leaking evap. Clean water is drinkable. Anti-freeze (coolant) is not and should be a pink or orange color.

There also maybe another leak else where too on the truck. If it is Anti-freeze(coolant) leaking from the drain then it is the heater core.
    Those Chevy are known for losing anti-freeze elsewhere in the engine and GM will tell that is normal which to me is BS.

Also is this a 5.7 gas old style Sierra 2500 or 6.0 gas new style Sierra

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  12. RepoMan207

from Maine

I'm with you there on GM's Mcginner.

My water pump is getting replaced tommorow morning. It leaks when it wants.

I take it out for a 2 hour run, bring her home, no leaks. Two days of sitting, I finnaly get a small stain in the pavement. This is the fifth time it has happend.

13. saynow

saynow Junior Member

I did notice that for the last few days the vent setting was on defrost on low. Yesterday, I turned it to dash and I have not noticed any leaking. When it was leaking it was straight water, no discoloration, no smell. However when I run the truck for awhile then I shut it off I can smell something like a burning smell, still no leaks like before and I have noticed the temp guage creeping up a little more than normal. Still think evap. or heater core? This is on a 7.4l v8 2500

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Doesn't matter whether you've found the leak yet or not, if it used that much coolant in two weeks it has a leak regardless. The 7.4's are not commonly known for coolant leaks like the Vortec small blocks or 6.0 intake gaskets, cross over lines and water pump issues.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  15. RepoMan207

from Maine

oh boy.....he said intake issue..........Haven't heard about that one yet.

Hook me up B&B, Whats that issue entail?

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The intake gaskets don't leak water on the 6.0's, they leak vacuum. Creates all kinds of strange idle issues that their well known for. But the cross over lines will spring a leak occasionally as well.

17. RepoMan207

from Maine

ahhhh, good to know. Thanks ......once again.

18. saynow

saynow Junior Member

Hey B&B, It's kinda weird you say that bout the idle issues on 6.0's. Mine is a 7.4l and I've been having rough idle issues lately. A buddy of mine cleaned the mass airflow and put propane to the intake, this smoothed it out perfectly. He said it is bad fuel injectors on cyl. 1&8. Is my leaking problem heater core then you think? You sure know your shiznatty!

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It is if you find coolant coming from the evaporator drain. You need to keep an eye on it to determine if its just condensation...or coolant that it's expelling.

Cut up a plastic soda or water bottle and tie it under the drain to monitor it..thats what I do.

If you find ANY coolant in the bottle then it needs a heater core. If all you find is straight water then you'll need to search elsewhere for the leak. But losing that much coolant in such a short amount of time shouldn't be too tough to find regardless.

If it has Dexcool in it still it'll leave an easy to find trace. :nod:

20. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

B B what are you referring to ??? Cross over lines ???