1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats the point of a GPS while plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I must not be in the 21st century,lol. I wouldnt have a clue why guys need a GPS in their truck while plowing. I would hope every one knows where in the hell they are going. I could see if you were new to the area but.....They just seem a bit pricy for something wouldnt be used much.

2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Mine is built into my truck but its fun to watch the little arrow go in circles while you plow!

3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I think its more about accountability for employees and saving money.

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

depends what your talkign about...GPS, liek jsu ta mpaping system, or a tracking system

and you hav eno idea, if you work in different towns, and dont know exactly yhr way , how nice it is to have... Mapquest is nice, but im not always at a computer to print a map

5. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I attended a secission on technogy at the SIMA show.

I heard the word properitary more in that hr than I have in my life. They were talking about with the tracking software the can tell if a driver is plowing, salting, how fast etc. My feeling on that was if you need "Big Brother tracking software" why did you hire these people? You should trust the people you hire. I can see from a liability standpoint for slip/falls, but at somepoint enought is enough.

One woman had a site monitoring system she either built or had built solar powered great concept, said it cost her about 5 K each. I was talking to my wifes cousin he said it should be about 1/3 that.

6. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Most people dont realize how many roads there are here and how many towns there are. To be 30 miles out from the "City" and its still busier here than most peoples towns.

7. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Im looking forword to using my personal Gps this year for plowing. My boss has many accounts spread all over the place. I know where most of them are from the summer work but there are still many I have no clue how to get there. I can get a call at any given time that I am needed elsewhere and if I have no clue how to get there it can be very frustrating.

8. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

I use my GPS to keep track of my time. At the end of work I can go check total time I was out, time sitting and time moving. I cross check this with the notes I made of how long I was at each property for total time of the night. If they don't add up I figure the mistake is in my notes. I note time I leave the house, time arrive at property, time plowing and time shoveling walks, time leave property and time arrive at next property on and on. I can also see how many miles I drove and have a rough idea of gas used.

9. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Once I know my route its no problem, i use the GPS for one time shots I some times get and have to go to. The GPS tracking in my truck is for accountability. Was I there when some one slipped and fell? Was it salted? How long was I on said lot for billed at XX per hour? Very handy for situations like that.

Cheers

10. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

Just make sure you turn off the talking feature or the damn thing will keep telling you that you made a wrong turn, and turn around, while your plowing! LOL!:dizzy:

11. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

have you ever tryd to find a driveway in the dark in a snow storm and the numbers r paintd on the ground. Its not fun

12. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

for me i may know where an account is, but may not always know the best way to get their. when i was a sub, i may be sent out to do a couple of houses in a neighborhood that i have never been in before.

13. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

how many drinks you have before that post:drinkup:

14. Indy

Indy Senior Member

He's hammered, the glass is fully empty!:drinkup: (signature quote)

15. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

OK you guys have enlittend me into the pros of a gps system, thanks. Maybe Santa might bring one.

16. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

If you do call ins, it could be great. Punch in the address and it will get you right there and tell you when you will get there.

I'm still looking to see if Garmin has a site where you can see where you have been during the day. And maybe get a print out.

17. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i can see how they would be helpful in kansas city, but not in a town of 10,000 ppl....that would be funny, someone using gps to find wal mart...lol

18. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

You have obviously never met drivers in michigan!:jester::jester::jester:''

(that's why there aren't any NASCAR drivers from Michigan, all the left turns confuse them!!!!!)

19. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

My Garmin came with a cable and software for the PC. You plug it in, run the software and viola! It has the route information along with speed, altitude etc.

I can also plot routes with waypoints on the PC and download them into the GPS.

20. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

come on all that white stuff can confuse some people