1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats the part# for the 6.0L Diesel snow prep fan clutch?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

i want to change it out on my 06 diesel that doesnt have it, overheats while driving down the road when its cold out and the plow is on.

2. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

try 4C3Z-8A616-SA

3. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Member

get it from the powerstrokeshop, it's $260 from them plus shipping. I just swapped mine out a week ago. Dealer wanted over $400 for it..

4. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

03/04 F-Series Overheating with Snow Plow Installed:

If a snow plow is installed on a truck with the 6.0, it may disrupt the air flow through the front of the truck causing the cooling fan to stop or turn in reverse. For trucks with snow plows there is a revised fan clutch available (P/N 4C3Z-8A616-SA). Some trucks have been modified with a jumper on the fan connector to keep the fan continuously engaged. This jumper must be removed before connecting the new fan. Broadcast Message 1137.

5. RamirezOrchards

RamirezOrchards Member
    from CT

Hate to bring up an old thread from the dead, but is there a way to modify the fan clutch with a 'jumper' or was that only done at the factory? I am having an issue with my 03 overheating and suspect the faulty fan clutch to be the issue.

6. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

I wouldn't necessarily say its a faulty clutch......does your truck have plow prep from the factory? Assuming your's is a diesel, if it had plow prep, it would have came with the proper fan clutch for this reason.

7. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

is there a way to wire it using the origional fan clutch and one of my up fitter switches??? flip the switch and have the fan on until i decide to shut it down?

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I didn't even know there was a different fan. I picked up our truck last week with the plow on it and it never heated up and it was 70+ degrees out, drove it about 8 miles to get it home. Mine definitely didn't have a snow plow prep. Is this something I will absolutely need to do or not? Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the tread but this is all I need right now.

9. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I don't own the 6.0 but to answer your question yes just run the hot wire to the upfitter switch. The only down side is now the fan is totally controlled via manual operation.

I would think that you would want to install a relay that would isolate between plow operation (run all the time) and non plow operation automatic mode.
    So you would have factory stock operation and then flip the switch for continuous ON operation

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  10. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

[/QUOTE]The only down side is now the fan is totally controlled via manual operation.[/QUOTE]

I think if i left the factory plug pluged in and just tapped into the power wire to the fan, i could retain automatic engagement.
    Also, the 6.0 PSD has a 5 wire plug, not just a simple two wire plug....thats why i was asking...in case anyone has done it already.....if not i will be probing and checking to see which wire will do the trick for me and post results here.

The only reason i am considering this is because one of fords quick fixes was to put in a jumper to run the fan constanly in the winter......but my truck sounds like a 747 on takeoff when the fan is on with a/c in summer time!! lol Thats why im thinking switch.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011