1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whats the operating capacity of skid steers?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I mean i heard of

Roll over capacity... say 8000lbs
    Operating capacity... say 2000lbs
    Breakout 10,000

So what happens between the 2000lbs and 8000 it takes to roll a skid on its face?

We were going to order a Deere 332D tire machine, said its capacity was 3300 or so. I want it to be able to lift up pallets of salt 2600+lbs no problem and possibly move skids of hardscape stone and pavers, upto 3400lbs.

Would a Deere http://www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/construction/deere_const/compact_track_loaders/323d_features.html

machine like that handle it? So 3600 it would handle even a 3400lb pallet of block? but atkes 7175 to totally just tip it over ?

SAE Rated Oper. Cap.(ROC)35% tip lb(kg) 2,500 (1134)
    ROC at 50% of tipping load lb (kg) 3,600 (1633)
    Tipping Load, standard, lb (kg) 7,175 (3255)
    Boom, lb (kN) 3,700 (16.4)
    Bucket, lb (kN) 5,600 (24.8)

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Ram, my 250(same size as 320) will pick up 3400# and plays with a pallet of salt.

A 332 will easily pick 2 pallets at a time, even to full height.

3. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I heard somewhere that the operating lift capacity is 1/2 the the break-out force of the lift arms, not bucket breakout. My 773 is rated at 1750
    but at lower heights it will move much more.I've moved pallets that weigh close to 2500lbs + at ground level.

4. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Rated operating capacity is 1/2 of the tipping load (per an SAE or ANSI spec-I can't recall).There is also a spec for tipping load (the amount of force required to make the unit tip), and I think it's at the bucket hinge, so when you are using forks the load is farther away from center and thus is reduced. It has been a while since I checked into this, but I'm sure that someone on this site has the info. Surley your local dealer can help you with this. Crete has experience with the Deeres so his advice should be accurate. If you trust it you may not need to investigate further. If you are going to be going down any slopes I would recommend that you do so in reverse (if loaded with something heavy) as the unit may want to tip on the decline. I doubt you will ever tip it over (to the front) but you may upset the machine enough to loose some of the load (and take a bite out of the seat with your a$$). My A300 is rated at 3,000# operating load and we can lift a pallet of block with no problems. I don't think we can do a pair though. We have a 2900# compactor that we occasionally pick up with the skid. You definately know that the weight is there and you must be careful when manuevering. If I recall correctly there is a skid steer shootout (on Deere's web site) that specifically addresses lift capacity. I think that they used a tracked unit in the lift (CT 332?) and it lifted a big chunk of concrete. The video is Deere biased so I wouldn't put a whole lot of weight in it for choosing a unit (whole lot of weight-get it).:laughing: It does, however, directly address your question. If you are lifting something while you are stopped on level ground, you can handle more weight than if you were on uneven ground, or if you were moving forward and had to stop. These factors increase the chances of the load out weighing the skid and thus make it tip. This is the reason that the working load (or operating load) is less than the tipping load.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  5. Premier

Premier Senior Member

we had a 06 JD332 loader you will be able to move just about anything you want with that loader, I wish we still had ours we now have a 2009 328 w/ weight kit, it will do what the 332 did for the most part just need to be carefull with the heavyer loads :D

6. cretebaby

For skidloaders and it's 35% for CTL's.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Why is it lower for the CTL? Because it's harder to tip the CTL?

8. cretebaby

I suppose.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would think you would end up with similar working limits for similar sized machines in the end.....

10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

It is because "generally" they assume the SS is being operated on more of a flat hard surface, as to a CTL being operated on softer more unlevel surfaces, therefore giving the CTL more of a "saftey cushion" factor......I can understand this in a way, cause there are places I dont think twice about going in my T190, that I would not even begin to attempt in a SS (even w/ over the tire tracks).

FWIW my T190 can easily move 2500 lb pallets around...Its ROC is 1900lbs....My old S185 (roc 1850) could also load and unload 2500 lb pallets off a semi, but it was tipsy doing it.

11. cretebaby

You are right.

A JD 320 SS and a JD 322 CLT are basically the same machine but the CTL is rated for 200# more than the SS.

12. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Thats because its only 35% of tip load on the CTL....what would the difference be at 50%, like what the SS is rated at?

I havent ran to many JD SS's/CTL's, but I promise you that 322 CTL will outlift that 320 SS by more than 200lbs.

13. cretebaby

~1100#

But you are using the same hydraulics in both machines so can you really expect the CTL to do 50% more work than the SS just because it weights more?

14. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Depending on what your doing with it, absolutely. "Lift & Carry" scenario on pavement, probably not. Throw them in the sand, mud (any soft soil), hillsides.... then yes I believe you would.

15. cretebaby

When it is beyond the ability of the internals of the machine?

It's got nothing to do with pavement VS mud.

16. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Then whats the point of comparing abilities between the 2?

17. cretebaby

I was just confirming Palmer's thoughts.

18. snocrete

snocrete Banned

19. cretebaby

Respectfully, IMO No.

Beside you where replying to a different post than I was.

Assuming the a 320 and 322 are the same internally, how can that be possible?

20. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Lots of assumptions:D.

I would say weight & added stability from dedicated track system? The tipping loads are quite a bit different, right? I know that comparing a S185 Bobcat & T190 Bobcat (same size frame machines), that the 190 will handle 500+ lbs in the same manner. Same goes for the machines you listed....I would assume if you took those 2 side by side and lifted the same pallet, the CTL would be alot more stable?

Not trying to argue, but most SS's I have ran seem to have way more hydraulic/lifting power than a$$.....CTL's dont act this way, from my experience at least, the weight and power seem to be at a closer balance. And again with my original post on WHY......it is not because of over stressing the hyd. (the 35% rating as opposed to 50%), it is because companies are assuming you will be taking the CTL in more extreme conditions (mud,sand,hillsides,etc). That last sentence is not an assumtion, its fact...... so dont assume that i am just assuming, i assume you know that:drinkup: Merry Christmas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.