1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats the most weight youve loaded in 3/4ton truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lasher66, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

Just wondering how much you guys push the weight limits of any 3/4 ton truck. I have a chevy 2500 with timbrens on back and been carrying almost 3k lbs of salt in it during snow events for a few yrs with no probs. I see a lot of guys with v-box's loaded up and was wondering how much everyone has gotten away with.

Jason

2. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Put 5200 lbs of stone in my dump insert on my 96 F250 with Timbrens. Not because I wanted to but when being loaded with a 5 yard bucket it happens. I was nervous the dump wouldn't lift it but it did. Wouldn't do it again though.
    I put 3000 in the back of my 1 ton every storm though.

3. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

2500HD with airbags front and rear.
    Had 6500lbs of concrete bags in the back.
    And towed ONCE 19,000lbs trailer loader with rebar.. With no trailer brakes.. YUP WONT do that again..

4. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Depends how far you're going. Careful of a tire blowout-much higher risk at higher speeds, and tire ratings aren't constant among 3/4 tons.

I had my 98 chevy 2500 up to 12600 gross with plow and very loaded spreader once for a VERY short drive. Not highly recommended. I moved to straight salt instead of salt/sand mix to try to lessen my overweight sins. Much better melting performance with less weight, and a lot safer.

5. TerraScraper

TerraScraper Member

I usually carry about 3k in the back of my f350 but tonight I have an extra 1/2 yard so that'll be 4k and it still sits level. On a side note, I ordered up 4 ton of sand to go in my 550 today and the guy loads up my 12 foot rack body and I head to the scales, lady goes "he went a little over" Ha, he loaded 7.27 tons in the back. for a gvw of 25k, Next time I'm dumping it on the scale, this guy loads for a living and is off by over 3 ton! oh well sand shed is now full enough, truck still took it like a champ wesport

6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I had my 04 2500 loaded last year with my fisher xls plow, truckcraft insert and salter and a load of salt. Oh and me and got off the scale and weighed in at 13956lbs.Truck handled it fine with the airbags. Got rid of half the load about a half hour later. Got off the scale today with a load of salt and came in at 12430lbs. This is the usual weight of the truck after a load.

7. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

3500lbs of gravel in my 1500 dodge mega cab squated a bit could have handled another 750-1000

8. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

At the local branch of Pennsy supply (They are a wholesaler of all types of aggregate), they now will NOT even let you load until they see your registration/title to see what your legal GVWR is. If you get loaded and it is over that # when you hit the scale, they make you drive around and shovel it off!!!!

I do understand this, as I live right next to their location and in the prior years, I have driven by there many times to see PU trucks with the axles sticking out from the C clips letting go in the rear and bodies that collapsed and burst from the beds being all rusty. It made me laugh every time! I have also heard that they were sued for overloading the trucks and had to pay for someone else s stupidity! You gotta love Lawyers!!

9. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

10. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I plead the 5th.

11. MARK SUPPLY

MARK SUPPLY Member

2500hd 5k of bagged salt used to haul it all the time with load range E tires had sensa trac load adjusting shocks on the rear, the old 6.0L gasser is getting tired or maybe I 'm just used to the Duramax dually

12. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

More than I would admit to. :eek:

13. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

We have all been in that situation. I had a buddy who put around 5000pds of stone in a 1/2 ton Dodge PU. He only went about 4 miles until the front end busted and the right front tire fell off and the truck dropped on the pavement. I started laughing when he called me! This could happen to any truck and not just a Dodge.

14. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

I was way worse when I started out with my half ton. That thing was always overloaded. Little bit better now.

15. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Eons ago when I was 16-17 and didn't know any better I used to use my Dad's 1970 GMC 1/2 ton for scrap runs.Most times it was 2 tons of steel I'd load up.It was really stupid as I had to go super slow,could barely keep the front tires on the ground.The scrapping was good back then though,app.$100 a ton and usually 2 trips a week--$400 for a kid is good money.Nowadays,I put app.3500 lbs. of Magic on my 3500.With the airbags it carries it pretty good.Hmmm--2 tons of weight on a 1/2 ton and 3500 lbs. on a 1 ton---yup,I guess it is true,with age comes wisdom.Thumbs Up

16. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Don't know how much wieght it was, but I had probably 3 yards of compost in my old 96 one time. Had sideboards and shoveled it in. Probably the most weight I've ever had on the truck. Only had to go 2 miles. Had to replace a broken spring a couple months later. Don't know what did it.

17. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

6300 pounds. 2.65 ton of salt sand and sanding unit.(1000 pounds) Didn't do it too much. 1999 Chevy 2500 with plow on the front. Weighed in and out of quarry.

18. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Obviously this was a long long time ago, wouldn't do it anymore. I would load and unload immediately. I had to drive pretty slow. Sold the truck to a friend and its still going to this day

19. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Airbags, extra springs,timbrens, you name it. They dont make your rear end anything more than a 3/4 rear end!

20. UpstateServices

UpstateServices Junior Member

My 02 Superduty handles a pallet of salt with no issues what so ever. Unfortunately the moron who dropped the last one on my tailgate discovered it won't support a pallet of Salt. That was Thursday.

"My Friend" towed a 24 foot enclosed 6500# trailer with a 56 GMC hot-rod(another 4000#) in the back from New York to So. Cal. and back (6000mi) with an 08 Tahoe. Torsion bars, brake controller, and $3k in fuel!!! Rode like a caddy.
    "That's what I heard":eek: