1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats the Max for Residential Plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tradercom, Sep 4, 2007.

1. tradercom

tradercom Junior Member

Hey, Im looking at plowing on my own this year... I've been searching for the last 2 hours to find a few answers and found nothing!

1. what would be the max number of residential driveways i could to by myself, just the driveway?

2. How many if i also did there front walkway to the door and infront of the garage?

driveway size: 15 X 25

Im thinking id be out for 8-10 hrs each time.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It's not how long you'll be out how fast can you get them done without all the bitching. See how much you want to make this year and divide that by how much you can charge and go from there.
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It is imposable for us to know what type of equipment you will be using and we have no idea how proficient you are at plowing.

:dizzy:10 to 80 drives at 1 every 5 to 60 minutes+ travel time???????
  4. tradercom

tradercom Junior Member

would 40-50 be over doing it?

8ft plow on a dodge ram... In most cases just back draging. i'd say im above average speed been doing parking lots for 5 years
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It depends on the snow with you east of the lake do you get lake effect snow? If I was still doing drives I could easily bang out more but,I've been plowing 20+yrs.
  6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Here in Newmarket most of our snowfalls are under 4". When I did residential I promised to have it done by 5pm. A friend of mine does 75-80 houses in 8-10 hours. Most of his drives would be 20x50. He then makes a return trip to clean up the street plow mess. 40-50 should be a piece of cake. If I were to shovel all of the walks I would bring a shoveler. It takes almost as long to shovel as plow and you can't get twice as much.

I was in London 2 days after that storm you had early last winter. That would of been a different story and you would of had a hard time backdragging with a truck!!!!!!!
  7. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Trader, 40-50 with one truck is a no no. You will definitly loose customers, guaranteed. The number of accounts you can handle is directly related to the proximity of one account to the next. If you do 10 in a row, you can handle more than 10 scattered all throughout town. General rule of thumb is around 30 accounts per truck. Now can you do 50 or 60.....sure you can....but the last people on your list are going to be very pissed off. In terms of getting out of the truck and shoveling.....I dont know about that. If you take 5 minutes to get out of your truck and shovel a walkway or in front of the garage that you might charge $5 or $10 for, you could have banged out a $35 driveway in those same 5 minutes. General rule of thumb is, once the last snow flake falls, you have 5 hours max to get everything cleaned up untill your phone is off the hook. Stay small and provide good customer service and grow untill you can put on another unit. The other thing is, if you take on a lot of accounts and the truck goes down, you just pissed off a ton of people instead of just a few. Make sense?

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Gicon is right about getting people upset too. I blew out my tranny in my old truck last year and of course it was snowing like a pita outside and we got about 10+ inches of snow. needless to say i got alot of calls from people that nothing was plowed. I subbed everything i had out to about 2 or 3 different people just to get the stuff done to make then happy. I lost my A$$ that day. So long story short my dads truck is getting a plow this year so he will be my back up guy, if that isn't a option have people that you can call to help you out.

9. tradercom

tradercom Junior Member

hey thanks gicon.... answered my simple question without being difficult!!!
  10. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Its all well and good when we all think big numbers times big sales, but we cannot forget big breakdowns. I run a 5 truck operation here now, and I add a truck every year. I have dedicated shovel trucks, and dedicated plow trucks. Just as it sounds......the shovel trucks just shovel, the plow guys just plow. If one of my plow guys is outside of a truck shoveling a $5 walkway, thats a big problem. He could be doing 2 $35 driveways in that same time......