1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whats the magic number for one truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by theIceNSnowman, Jan 27, 2013.

1. theIceNSnowman

theIceNSnowman Member

Assuming you have an in working order, 1 ton pickup with a 8.5 V Plow, and all of your customers are average size residential driveways, and all are within a 10 mile radius, how many customers do you think you can handle effectively with one truck? Driver is experienced.

This is considering you want happy customers, and provide a top notch level of service. Obviously this number has variables, but I was wondering as a general rule of thumb, if you guys will cut off a truck at a certain point. From my experience, I think 30-40 is pushin it.

2. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I personally think 30-40 with one truck is absurd if they're spread across ten miles.

Much of what you write is all relative. "top notch" service to me is all drives done to black pavement within three hours after a storm. This is how my accounts are serviced where I am. I would say you'd be hard pressed to do that with twenty drives over ten miles depending on the snow fall.

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

add a rear plow to the truck think you could out out do that number

4. Mcdunn

Mcdunn Junior Member

I have one truck, do 15 driveways and a commercial lot...its manageable and takes around 4 hours with my 7.6 with wings.

5. ducaticorse

from we

What number, 30-40 over ten miles? I don't think so, not unless his customers don't mind waiting 6-8 hours after the storm is over for a push.

6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I think it is all relative to how everything is set up. 1 being are they one after the other or are they spread out more. are they an easy push just drop blade and push straight ahead and that's it or do you have to have to work at it to clean a drive good? are you just plowing ot are you shoveling too. are you in a congester area or more farm like not as much traffic?
    I do around 20-24 well within a 7 mile radius but traffic affects me when i back onto roads have to wait alot of times. then there are those that get 20 drives in a subdivison and can back those 20 out then do 10 or more that are scatered around or are on a busy st.

7. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I don't think the number of accounts matter.It's length of route.Timing and amount of snow.What are the expectation of your clients. If it takes 8 hrs to do route,that's fine if snow ends around midnight.what if it ends at 5 am? What if you get large amount of snow and your plowing for 24hrs?Will they understand? Do you have back-up? It'your call,just my 2 cents:)

8. ducaticorse

from we

Fully agree with you here... The answer I gave was roughed out given the specifics he included in his question.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If your in this business for awhile start with a few,every year try and pick up new ones close to your other ones and start dropping the far ones,Closer they are the more you can do.

10. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

I think it depends on how you service your clients. One of my pickups has about 25 residential clients and provide what I would consider top notch service. We have it set up as follows:

-If there is 2 " on the ground before 4am we will have it pushed before 7am
    -Driveway will be serviced every 6" or prior to 4pm for extended duration storms

We only push the driveway on our initial or duration pushes and return for walkways on the final pass.

11. wilsonsground

wilsonsground Senior Member

20-30 if your experienced shouldn't be an issue if they arent really spread out. I plow 34 residentails and 4 commercials on my route. 8 years of experience. I'm only 23, my residentails are all 30 seconds to 2 minutes apart from one another and range from about 150' to roughly 500' long and the residentails take me 2.5-3hours with an 8' plow depending on how wet the snow.

12. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I use to do 63 all with in 10 miles but it was groups of 5 then another group of 5
    No shoveling just plowing
    I would start before snow ended and my contract gave me 7 hours after storm was over to finish
    Also did same drive ways for 10 years they knew the routine and they were ok with that I would not do it again

13. ducaticorse

from we

In no way would I consider a 7 hour response time "top notch service" nor would any of my customers. In fact, I would be promptly fired if I did.

14. ducaticorse

from we

I would say ten miles is pretty spread out, no?

15. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I agree that was back then now I only do 15 houses takes all of 3 hours to shovel and do top notch service and I get $1000 a driveway for the season
    Back in the day it was $200-$250 a driveway per season
    I always did the important houses first and saved the old people for last I agree was not best but that was the way my father did it and customers were fine with it. When I took over I went from one truck to 10 trucks all commercial except 1 truck and again I charge more do a better job and do it in half the time and make same money point is charge what you can and be upfront with people I use to tell them how long it would be before I got there each storm I would say you are house # 45 on my list I give them the facts and let the people decide

16. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Thats what I do bundle Split my town in half I have 2/3 in north part 1/3 in south to do The same goes with my mowing but South is growing now for that

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The magic number is the cell phone of your backup.

18. andersman02

andersman02 Senior Member

We have 35 (3 45 min commercials) accts with one truck. We can get them done within about 6-7 hrs. Depending on the time of day, ill actually go off and do about with a snowblower and get all done in about 4-5 hours (old man in the plow truck doing about 1/2 with plow).

I wouldnt recommend this to anyone though. snowblowing, while being very clean, takes WAY to long and we dont actually charge extra for it. I graduated college so this is my first winter here and we were trying to figure out what to do for snow. Next year we will be getting atleast one more plow truck and probly a plow for our f550.

We are over booked for 1 plow truck, simple as that. I wouldnt have more then 25 per truck, and wont next year.

19. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I do close to that many on my route but I get mine done in about 4-5 hours. My route is pretty tight so it works out ok.

20. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Think about this

take the same amount of time and do commercial work. You will make more money and service less clients.