1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whats the longest youve plowed for a single storm

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ajslands, Dec 17, 2009.

1. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

what is the longest you have plowed for a single storm without sleeping, 30 min naps is not sleeping btw
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

36 hours I did have two 2 hour "naps"
    26 hours without "naps"
  3. overtime

overtime Senior Member

Wow 36 hours! I went 12 hours with no nap but the guy that was with me was sleeping and snoring.
  4. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

almost made 72 straight hours back in 2001, but i finished before then
    I used to work Train/subway platforms as a sub for a friend's father when I was in college. Used to higher my college buddies, best time of my life
  5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

26 hours last week, most is 30 though.
  6. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

I did 48 straight with no sleep at all in january 1996! No fun!
  7. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

Most is 26 with no nap.
    Longest ever was 54 with 1-3hour nap. Got hotel rooms for the guys and we slept for that storm. THAT SUCKED and I hope that never happens again.
  8. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I did almost 60 hours. Very, very stupid. I was hallucinating and fell asleep with my truck nosed into a pile and still in gear. I was sick for about a week after that.

I have since added two more pieces of equipment and now, even during extended storms, we are done with the route in 8-10 hours and have enough time for meals and naps.
  9. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

dropped the plow at 6 am on a sunday morning

and walked back in the door at home on wednesday night at 8 pm

it goes without saying there were a few naps here and there
  10. MikeLawnSnowLLC

MikeLawnSnowLLC Senior Member

30 hours straight for me. On my way home I was struggling to keep my eyes open very very dangerous stuff doing strenuous work like this for 30 hrs. straight!!
  11. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

I did 68 hrs with one 6 hr nap last year(it was supposed to be 3 hrs but I slept through the alarm). I also fell asleep in the truck in front of my shop when I finished that morning. I will never do that again.
  12. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

Last year 1st major storm of year 48.5 hrs running a combo for Mass-Highway it was awesome how far you can push yourself I gained a ton of respect from the old guys....Then I went home & slept 18 hrs straight & loved every minute of it
  13. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Longest I ever plowed that I remember was a couple of years ago...that was 30 hours straight.Stopped twice, once for a shower and to brew a pot of coffee. I'm not sure if I will do that again in the future.
  14. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i did 46 hours staight about 15 years ago i was hallucinating alsoby the time i was done i slept in a chair at the shop for about 5 hrs before i could drive home
  15. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I did 45hrs back in 04, never again. I don't think I could physicaly do it again.
  16. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

The most I have ever did was 42hrs in winter of 07 when we got a 52 cm storm in March,hope we never get that again in one dumping.
  17. TDSnowSPR

TDSnowSPR Junior Member

Well, My first storm was last week! I left the house Friday morning at 6am, and arrived back at my house Monday afternoon at 11:00 AM...I slept for a total of 20 minutes the entire weekend!
  18. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Did 72 hrs straight in '96, was short 8 p/u subs before the first and huge, storm that started 11/14 at 10 pm, 6 more p/u subs broke in the first 5 hrs. It was a loooong 3 days.
    Used to plow 24 hrs every storm but as we all know customers won't wait that long.
    jayman3, how did you make out in last wed storm?
  19. Dankman

Dankman Junior Member

24 hrs,last storm here we had.All that wet heavy schtuff took a little longer than expected. red bull and norcos helped. hahaha. What?........... I have terrible neck and back pain.;)
  20. snowman4

snowman4 Senior Member

42 in one shift. 128 in a week.