1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats The Longest Time You've Been In The Truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Wolfies L&L, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Wolfies L&L

Wolfies L&L Member

Hey Guys

I'm wondering whats the longest time you've been in your truck during a large storm. Counting from the first time you jump in at your trigger until you finally finish up after the storm.

Thanks!

Jason

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

About 18 hrs or so and it was still coming down at 10 PM when I pulled the plug for the night to start again at 4 AM the next day.

3. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

32 Hours. Snow storm in Chicago over Christmas 1999 - 2000

Came home and fell asleep eating dinner. No kidding either... :dizzy:

4. Foz

Foz Senior Member

85 Hours, started on a Monday at 7:00 AM and got out on Thursday at 8:05 PM, got out to eat breakfast, dinner, and pee of course.........NEVER AGAIN!

5. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

friday at 6:00 pm until the folowing monday at 5 pm.
    body felt like i was shaking for days...but made a ton of money!!!

6. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

1996, 8 days. Yes 8 days... eat, sleep, plowed and plowed and plowed. I didn't go home at all.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  7. btrussell

btrussell Member

Wow Heron that a really long time! I'm glad I don't live in that part of Maryland...or am I? I don't think I would enjoy pushing snow for 8 days. Just my opinion though.

8. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

36 hours. Winter of 1997

9. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

23 Hours, Blizzard of 2001. Went to sleep for 4 hours and was back out for another 18.

10. norrod

norrod Senior Member

About 40 hours straight in the truck. But kept us busy for a couple of weeks.

The Western New York Blizzard of '77

We knew we were in for it when the Lightning and Thunder started :rolleyes:

I grew up in South Western corner of New York state. I was 18 and working for an excavating company driving a Brand new Ford f-250. We spent several days trying to keep up with the snow fall. After the blizzard passed, we then loaded all our dozers, front-end loaders, backhoes, and dumps, and went to Buffalo to help dig them out. 29 people died in Buffalo in this storm.

A couple of archieve photos
    [​IMG]

If you look closely, this is a tunnel at the Buffalo Airport that has trapped drivers inside by the huge drift.
    [​IMG]

11. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

I figured everyone remembered the back to back storms of 1996. It snowed for 2-4 days. It took a break for 1 day, then it snowed for another 2-3 days. I believe we got a total of 38-40" accumulation out of those two storms. We were responsible for at least 15-20 properties from Laurel to Indian Head, MD. I think at one time we had every Giant Food grocery store there was.

We were short on trucks and I had two centers off of Route 202, approx. 2-3 miles from each other. It was snowing so hard, I could open the drive lane in the front of one building, go to the other center and do the same thing. By the time I returned back to the original center, it snowed so hard and so fast, you couldn't see the wind row I created.

Yes, I didn't see home for 8 days. I was young and stupid. Sleeping in the truck didn't bother me at all. By the time we got every property cleaned-up and finally got home it was 8 days later. That was the same year we rented machines out of North Carolina. They were given $500.00 a machine per hour.

That was the same year that all the other contractors had as many problems as we did. That following season, we lost a majority of our contracts; however, so did everyone else. So basically, we ended up trading contracts among all the contractors.

Now mind you, I did eat and sleep in my truck. I didn't go home.

Marshall

12. norrod

norrod Senior Member

Hey Marshall,

I remember that one. I lived 2 miles from BWI airport at that time. I wasn't plowing when I lived there. It was a big Blizzard. That's the blizzard where a woman slide through a stop sign and creamed the right side of my Ford truck.

Cheers !