1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats the going rate, Midwest $

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by crsnowlover, Jan 3, 2010.

1. crsnowlover

crsnowlover Junior Member

I do snow removal with a decent snow blower and finish with shovel, mostly sidewalks,driveways and small parking lots and store fronts. Charging 30.00 Hr is this in the ballpark, first year. Thanks!
  2. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

ww crew 30/hr is average, but if you are doing small lots then 60/hour is more than reasonable!!
  3. JMR

JMR Senior Member

First of all I would try to avoid bidding a job by the hour. We only do 7 residential driveways. We get $30 - 40 for most of driveways on a 1-5" snow. Our largest driveway is $80. All of our residentials are very close together, so drive time is minimal. My blower crew (2 guys w/blowers) including unloading and loading usually knock them out in about 10- 15 minutes. Prices go up as the amount of snow increases. So, simple math says we are charging $70+ per man hour for our blower/shovel crew. We really try to avoid residentail drives. We turn down plenty of them. My blower crew ran 11 hours today with 4" of snow, I think that was plenty work for them. Now the plow trucks are another story.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  4. crsnowlover

crsnowlover Junior Member

Thanks for the info, new to site and snow removal. JMR what kind of blowers do you use? Thanks for the repleys can use all the help I can get.
  5. Flawless

Flawless Junior Member

I try not to do drives, only to my summer customers. But we charge $50-$60 per drive
    Driveway and walks with salt and Cal. Small lots min. $100 per push Walks $35 an hour with 1 hour min. I do have a customer that owns 5 business on the same street. All small lots so i knock the push price down. All these price's are 2-4 inch then increase in the next bracket 4.1 - 6 inch
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I would price according to the drive and not by time.
  7. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

go by drive - hourly is not cutting it on a driveway.
  8. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

shovelling is min 30 an hour here if you are working for a sht company. if there is equip u need to increase price because of speed and overhead. u need to try and make more than that though. should not take you an hour to do a drive and i never charge less than 30 for a drive. the customers dont see it by the hour.
  9. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Mostly Toro's
  10. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

I agree.....but what would you charge for drives that are like 2 1/2 car wide by 2 car deep?

....and I'm talking about using a blower, and do all you guys really have so many prices per how many inches? I could see charging maybe from up to 12" would be one price or something and go up after that by what every 4", 8" and so on.
  11. redskinsfan34

redskinsfan34 Senior Member

I usually go case by case. Depending on what equipment you're using, figure out an hourly rate in your head. I would never tell a customer I'm hourly or some a$$ would be out there with a stop watch timing you!