1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's the going rate for an employee plow truck driver

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gmcplowtruck, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmcplowtruck

gmcplowtruck Member

Looking at possibly taking on another route for the sub contracting company I work for it would pay me $40 hr plus buy the salt what would be the rate I should pay a driver

2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Depending where your located.

Locally in Chicago your going to be looking at 15-25/hr.

3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

$25 an hour here

4. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

$20/hr here

5. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

15.00. Depends on area

6. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

$20hr - $25hr here

7. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

You get paid $40 an hour to provide a truck, plow, salter, driver, gas, and insurance? Yet they provide the salt? Is this per hour snow or shine, parked or plowing? or is this only when it is running? I won't run my trucks for less then $65 and hour, and that is after they are done with their routes. And I pay $25 an hour to my drivers. That is in Utah with a lot cheaper of an economy then many other places. Oh ya, I also buy breakfast for everyone when they get up and have their routes taken care of before morning open.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  8. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

$ 25.00 is way to low here in Michigan. Last year, we payed a guy who has his own truck, paid for his own gas $ 65.00/hr. He was a mediocre plower at that, but he was reliable and in all actuality got better as the year progressed. If he returns this year we'll pay at least the $ 65.00 hr.

9. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

I thought that what I said was clear but $25 an hour is what I pay a driver who drives my truck. and $65.00 is a minimum for a truck and driver

10. gmcplowtruck

gmcplowtruck Member

That's my truck gas maintenance everything he would just be driving
    I get 40 hour from th time I drop the plow till I finish
    I think some of the prices you guys are telling me are a bit high for my area my cousin plows for another landscaper and gets 14 hr with 11 years experience
    Also the guy I'm thinking about hiring has absolutely no experience

11. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

it all depends on the local market u got to figure wages out urself based upon what u can do

12. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

we are taking about paying employees not sub contractors.

13. ZachXSmith

ZachXSmith Senior Member

I start all my guys at 11-12 a hour to drive, shovel, whatever. They rotate who drive's and who shovels. I pay my guys year round so maybe that matters, they also get unemployment all winter. They have to claim what they make from me when they call marvin. I also provide a 401k with up to 25 dollar a week match after a year and a cell phone.
    I have 1 guy that makes 18 a hour but he runs a crew in the summer. You guys that pay 25 a hour are crazy. More power to yea.

14. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

The reason I pay $25 an hour is because I need good reliability. I don't have full or part time employees. I have on call employees. They work other jobs that don't work with the weather, get layed off for the winter, or something to that effect. They can't go on vacation during the snow season. They may miss thanksgiving or Christmas with their family. They must not drink too much during possible time of work. They may or may not make any money from me depending on weather it snows. I use them for the main storm. then I go out myself to do the after storm maintenance. For them to agree to these terms I pay well.

15. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

This is a good example of employee pay per regions...... My employees are in the same boat as yours and drivers get $12 (I have no problems filling any driver routes and they stay on for the season). They're more then happy to work like above and they are on the books with insurance and comp.

For the OP, your costs will differ from mine but at my $12 rate with all the other costs associated with running a truck, It costs ME $42 per hour to have that truck working.... Your costs will be different but double check your costs, at $40 you MAY LOSS MONEY!
    HIH

16. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Great , another let's screw over the subs and get rich off their hard work thread.

Add up your operating costs, insurance, gas, plow, deprecation on truck and plow + your time. You can't make a dime in your own truck for less then $65 an hour, even that's way to low !

Go work at McD's you will make more money and not have to get up at 3 AM. $40 for your own truck :gunsfiring::angry:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  17. ZachXSmith

ZachXSmith Senior Member

You sound very angry... I would have to say subs are paid around 55 a hour around here.
    65 is the top end of the scale, The very top In my opinion.
    No one can operate a buisness off a single truck subbing for 55 a hour, in order to make money subbing you need 2 or 3 trucks running everytime it snows and your own accounts as well. Thats how you split up your insurance costs. I also use all of my trucks in the summer as well for either personal use or buisness. I have seen alot of guys with a plow truck and a dream go bankrupt before/after a single winter because of this. I have very low overhead so I can make good money at 55-65 a hour with any of my trucks after all of my accounts are serviced.

Its time to weed out all the Dream Plowers and let the pro's handle it.

18. ZachXSmith

ZachXSmith Senior Member

Oh and by the way just because you joined SIMA doesnt mean your a pro, It means you paid money for a jacket and joined a club.

19. nekos

nekos Senior Member

I am angry, it's scrubs lowballing the hell out of each other that is screwing up this entire industry. The pro's pay people like me almost double your ((top end of the scale)). Furthermore, What you guys decided to charge doesn't change how much it costs me for gas or insurance. It doesn't change the fact that it costs me $40k for a truck and $6k for a plow.

(edit)
    To all the subs with their own equipment, buy a damn calculator and spend 5 minutes adding up how much it costs you to go out and plow each night.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  20. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.