1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats the furthest you drive to get to a site?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snowpower, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

2. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I drive 1 hour from my house to my shop/route area.

From there the farthest any two places are apart is about 25 mins.

When a storm is coming I usually sleep in my truck or this winter in my shop and then I'm in the area. Sometimes it works out, sometimes you spend a night sleeping in the truck for nothing.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If I leave my house and go to the furthest one it's 4 miles. But the way my route is there less than half mile between each other or in some cases next to each other.

4. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

The furthest account for us is about 10, 12 miles away. It gets tricky because this site is in the country and it drifts really bad.

5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

My site I run is 40 mins from me. But I got guys driviner over 1.5 hours to get there because the pay is so much better.

6. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

our shop is in town and our first and major account is <2 miles away. i also live in our shop so it takes me about 15 seconds to get to work. BTW you can count me out of driving 1.5 hours in a storm to get to work??? if it's storming were out working not driving to get to work.

7. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We go as far as an hour out, but not for one site, we have "regions", each one has a manager. Under him are either some of our trucks or subs. If we land anything further away than that we'll hire a "total site sub" and rely on them to manage it from start to finish, we'll check up after an event to make sure all is well.

8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

You'll all think I'm crazy, but a group of us from my town and surrounding towns drive 1 hour in clear weather to get to where we plow. There is no money to be made in these little po-dunk towns. EVERYONE has a damn plow on their truck. We all drive an avarege of 40 miles to go plow. Depending on if you beat the storm to the city or not, it can take as long as 2 1/2 hours to get up there. :realmad: :dizzy:

9. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Where ever my brothers on PlowSite need my help!

10. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

my farest is 12miles away.

11. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

my farthest is about 10 minute drive. that's my commercial lot.
    its been often times last year that I spent the night in the truck there for a threat of snow.

12. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

As a sub who only does commercial I drive a pretty fair amount.

The 1st stop is 5-10 mins away depending on time of day/night.

Once I am working though I will go wherever the guy that hires me wants me to.

I have been at the Wendy's in Lindinhurst, Illinois and been asked to go to the post office in Schaumburg off of Rt 58(Golf Rd). Which is about 65 miles or so. I believe it is a tad more but never have done a map-quest on it.

I look at it like this. Once in the truck I am on the clock. If he wants to pay me to drive all that way during a plow event then that is his choice and I am all to happy to do it for him.

I have also got done at the post office and swung over to Toy's R Us on Golf Rd to finish up or do a clean up and then drive back to Crystal Lake to salt or touch up a lot I did the night before.

I have even done that same route twice in one event both times getting over 24 hours on the clock. 6 to 8 hours of that could be driving depending on time of day and depth of snow and if I run out of salt or not.

13. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

All my accounts are 10 minutes or less away from each other. I live in the middle of town so I can be there in no time. I have had offers to do gas stations about 25 miles away. I said no becuase I thought that it would be too hard on the pickup at highway speeds with a plow on it.

14. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

It has taken me a few years to get to this point but all our accounts (85+ this year) are within a three mile radius which I live in the middle of. Our shop is about one mile of the loop.

15. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

my entire route is a total of 12 miles. This being 24 accounts, 8 of which are commercial.

16. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

2 Miles

98 accounts 10 commercial the rest private roads and residential within that radius of home.

17. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I'm right in town...farthest I have ever drove is about 3 miles outside of town.;)