1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's the door code for plow prep springs?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by SalNazzaro, Jan 20, 2011.

1. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

I've got an 08 f350 and want to find out if I have plow prep, anyone know if theres a door code for that. If I dong have it I'm Jude going to order the springs. Thanks
  2. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

Stupid iPhone and predicted spelling
  3. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

not sure the code, AC or CA, but check your fgawr, if diesel it should be 6000lbs

i swapped my 6k springs for AA 7K springs
  4. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

Yea it's 6000, would it be less if it didn't have the plow prep?
  5. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

i think the gas trucks had 5600lb axles even with plow prep. the diesel trucks plow prep is 6K. no plow prep is 5400 i believe,
  6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

7. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

The door code will not have a spring code, but it will list the weight rating. The front spring is under FGAWR (front gross axle weight rating). And there is no "plow prep" spring that is the same for all trucks. It is dependant on:

Engine (gas or diesel)
    Cab (single, super, or crew)
    Bed length (short or long)

Ford uses 400lb "steps" in spring weight.

For example, my 2008 V10 CC Short bed came with the heavy service springs (one step up from the norm). And normal was 4800. So the heavy service is 5200lb (which is what the door sticker said). But I needed the plow prep springs (two steps up from norm) which for my truck is 5600lbs, so I had to buy them and install them myself.

A supercab V10 would have a normal spring rate of 4400lb. Heavy would be 4800, and plow prep is 5200lbs.

And I can't say 100% sure for diesels, but I believe their spring rates are setup to be 2 steps higher than a gas engine (due to the extra weight of the diesel engine). It might only be 1 step though. Like I said, I'm not sure with diesel. I've only focused on the gas trucks.

This is why when you read the sales brochure, it lists the heavy service springs and plow prep as "computer selected", because its all based on the configuration of the truck.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  8. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

My truck has the 6000 springs I think there the highest, the only thing I'm missing is the different fa clutch.