1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whats the difference

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by frndinalowplace, Feb 5, 2005.

1. frndinalowplace

frndinalowplace Senior Member
    from 7hills

:drinkup: :gunsfiring: i keep hearing bout these one stage and two stage spreaders whats the difference and what would u use for a couple of parking lots not to big not to small thanks :drinkup: :gunsfiring:

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

One-stage spreader - You pour the material (salt, sand etc) into the hopper and it goes straight down through a hole to the spinner which throws it onto the surface.

Two-stage spreader - You pour the material into the hopper. The bottom of the hopper there will be a chain or auger to take the material to the hole to the spinner ...

The problem with a one stage is clumping which is generally solved in the two stage by being broken up by the chain. Also, if your material is damp or wet, you will have bridging which is also more likely solved with a two stage. The problem with the two stage is that it is much more expensive than the one stage. People buy the one stage to save money and pay one way or another. With a one stage, you should only use very dry, bagged salt. With a two stage, you can use finer material (ie: sand or sand/salt) and damp/wet bulk material which costs much less.

I would always recommend the two stage, the size of the lot would be irrelevant.

3. frndinalowplace

from 7hills

thank u very much mick that is very helpful

4. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

First time owner of a salt spreader here. It is a one stage and what I have noticed is that if you pour the salt directly in the middle of the spreader it will not engage when you turn it on. I get an overload reading when this happens sometimes. I have to get out and pull the salt up out of the middle and it seems to work then. But since I have realized the problem I go side to side when dumping.

JP

5. REED384

REED384 Senior Member

salt speader

i have a snoex 1075 that binds up if ya leave salt in it to long and gets the same reading . i just go back and move impeler back and forth a bit and its ok . pouring on either side is usless as soon as ya hit a bump its all in middle any how. trick would be just put what ya need in and no more. but not always possible. plus mine has a electric gate so i dont lose salt going down road.

6. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Since I am new to the salting game I only put in the amount of salt that I use at each property. I don't even drive in between sites with salt in the spreader. It is a 575 snowex. But thanks for the tip on the impeller. I will move that around next time instead of digging in the salt.

JP

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

my model 1000 Fisher can hold 10, 50 lb bags of salt, does not matter how you pour it in. Just do not put in wet salt, it sticks to the sides and won't fall down. Next year I will get a vibrator for it to solve that problem. As far as leaving salt in the spreader, too many posts of people saying don't do it, so I have not. I did fill up at home once though and when I got to the lot the road spray must have clumped it up, but I just rotated by hand the spinner and all was good :eek:

8. frndinalowplace

from 7hills

thanks guys i dno i am still considering the one stage i dont wanna pay that much maybe the buyers 600 pound spreader