1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats the difference?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by WOODY367, Oct 24, 2010.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

What is the difference on a 04 F250 with the ones with the OD switch for the trans and ones that say TOW? My 04 had the tow package and the FX4 package with the OD switch.. I have seen ones that have a tow light?

2. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

The ones that say TOW are 5 spd. TorqShift transmissions, a far superior transmission to the old 4 speed 4R100, which is what you have. Your 4R100 does not have a Tow/Haul mode, and for that matter, does not have a drive by wire throttle, like the TorqShifts. 05+ got a TorqShift, but I think some 04 6.0Ls might have gotten them too. Not sure on that one though.

3. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Ok thanks. I did have a 95 Bronco that had the Tow/Haul button back then and it was a 4spped autom trans. Just seen it in my 04 manual.

4. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

The OD button simply locks out overdrive. The TOW/HAUL button changes the parameters of the shift points in the transmission. It will hold gears longer while accelerating and will down shift sooner while decelerating. I believe it also down shifts the trans when the brake is applied.

5. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Exactly....

6. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

The torqshift(5R110) trans actually goes back to 2003 when the 6.0 was introduced. Ford didn't introduce the Tow/Haul mode till 2005 though which at that time changed the shift parameters to more effectively shift the transmission while under a heavy load(think mild shift kit with the touch of a button), and yes it also provided some engine braking if the truck was factory equipped with a trailer brake controller. All of the Powerstroke line were fly by wire and the 4R100s were electronic shift as well. They started putting the Torqshift behind the 3V gas engines in '04 if I remember correctly. All of the Torqushifts were considered a 6 speed that only hit 5 gear combinations. Most of them shifted 1, 2 3, 5, 6 when you watched them with the IDS(Ford's diagnostic tool). 2011 and up are hitting 6 gears, it is however a revamped Torqshift(6R140 I think that is the new number, side by side they look completely different)

7. 54powerwagon

54powerwagon Senior Member

my 2004 had tow/haul with a 6.0 built in april of 2004

8. A&MLANDSCAPING

A&MLANDSCAPING Junior Member

my 04 has it to

9. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Mine 04 has the 5.4 guess thats why it has the OD instead of the tow/haul.

10. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

gas engines didnt get the TS tranny until 2005 when they introduced the 3v gas motors to the superduty line up. 1/2tons got the 3v engine a year earlier as they always get the upgrade sooner.