1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats the difference? "Under Tailgate" and a "Replacement Under Tailgate"

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rusty_keg_3, Oct 17, 2010.

1. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

Ok, maybe im dumb... But ive heard members say their not the same... And were looking for a under tailgate spreader for our dump...

So, whats the difference?

MR. McBEEVEE Junior Member

Pretty sure

I am not that experienced in that area but i do have an undertailgate spreader. With those you can leave your original tailgate on. The replacement under acts as its own tailgate. You must remove your original.
  3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Exactly right. Go to truckcraft website and you can see both types on there product page.
  4. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

My research also showed that if you have 44"or more of HOB (height of bed) you can use undertailgate.
    44" or less you would use replacement tailgate style.Undertailgate sits lower so there are clearance issues.
  5. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I don't think your research is correct. If you only had a 24inch back gate, you could still use both.
  6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

look here is the difference. corrrect as stated above a replacement tai gate requires removal of your dump body tailgate. under tail gate spreader simply sits under it.

under tailgate spreader requires welding to your dump box. (or bolting) replacement tailgate "should" use the same hinge that your normal tail gate uses.

to be the big advantage is with the under tail gate. becasue you can close the lid, and still use the dump box...as a dump box. and dump out material that will slide over the top.

disavantage - it does sit lower. if your box sits low, or has a long distance from the rear wheel to the end of the dump box....or your dump box has a hinge point forward of the rear of the box (thus the rear of the dump box actually gets closer to the ground when you raise the box) or if your current dump box has problems lowering to the ground with gravity (especially when there is material only in the rear of the box) .. these would all be situations where your better choice is a replacment tailgate.

replacment tail gate also is a little bit easier to pull a trailer with, (not by alot tho)
  7. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

good info...thanks
  8. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I was'nt referring to the size of tailgate , but to the distance from ground to the bottom of bed. That was according to swenson dealer. I will verify tues when i pick up swenson from dealer.