1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats the difference between these pushbars?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by beaugross, Feb 6, 2010.

1. beaugross

beaugross Member

I just bought a complete plow frame for my 04 F-150. The seller said he wasnt sure if it was for the RT3 or RT3 SPORT. I looked at all of the parts and the only P/N that differs is in the push bar. The RT3 is a PBA05305 and the SPORT is a PBA05431 Okay, now what is the difference between these two and how can you tell? Thanks for the help guys!

2. beaugross

beaugross Member

Also, what plows will fit on this mount? I am aware of the differences in wiring...just when it comes down to it....what all will fit?

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The difference is the regular RT3 will be more robust in it's construction and have the plow mounting hooks father apart than the sport push beam. Easy way to tell the difference is to measure the mount hook spacing where the plow attaches. If it's about 18" then it's a regular RT3. If it's less then it's a sport.

And the sport push beam is for and uses a Sport Duty series plow, ie lightweight light use designated plow.

An RT3 beam will allow you to run any RT3 series (full size) plow out there except for the Sport Duty. So..

Sport Duty push beam = Sport Duty series plow.
    RT3 push beam = anything else except a Sport Duty series.

4. beaugross

beaugross Member

awesome...thank you

5. beaugross

beaugross Member

question #2 Okay, I have the RT3 mount...now my wiring kit is for a straight blade plow....what all do I have to do to convert it to a v plow....probably just easier to buy a new control harness. But as far as my headlights go...will I have everything I need from the old harness?

6. beaugross

beaugross Member

also...will I be able to use the power/ground ground cable from the straight blade?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No differences in the truck side wiring between a straight and a vee blade on a Boss. They're both the same and will run either blade. All that matters is that both the plow and truck are either 11 pin or 13 pin depending on the age of it. Smart Hitch 1 will be 11 pin, Smart Hitch 2 will be 13 pin. So, as long as the pin count is the same there's no need to purchase a new harness.

You may need to buy the correct head light adapters depending on the differences in the headlamp style of the truck the harness was removed from and the '04 Ford you're installing it on. But other than that you're good to go.

And once you have it all installed you'll be able to operate a straight or vee.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  8. beaugross

beaugross Member

Thats even better news yet!! Luckily it came off of the same style truck its going back on. Thanks for the help....again.