1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats the difference between Meyer and Diamond?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Detroitdan, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Guy near me sells both. I looked at them a long time ago, I thought the Meyer looked like a cheap piece of crap like they always used to be, but the Diamond looked pretty rugged. I might consider a Diamond 9' straight if it is not ultimately put together like a Meyers. I notice it seems to be that they are usually sold and serviced by the same dealer, and here they are linked together also. How would you compare them to a Fisher?
  2. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

For a couple of things the Diamond is a trip edge the Meyer is full blade trip. Go to the Meyer/Diamond site or go to Candia and look at them in person. The Diamond A-Frame is attached to the plow on the bottom and top a much stronger set up. A 9 foot Diamond will serve you well. I would compare the Fisher and Diamond about the same and I have owned both blades. The Fisher being a Northeast plow company has a better network of dealers around here
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2005
  3. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Go buy a blizzaard like the rest of the lemmings. Youll be happy and we wont have to listen to you cry like a baby when you have to replace a part on a Meyer.

If anyone can tell me how a company manages to stay in bbusiness for 80 years when as all of you say they make crap?

Ya know what? I dont think you guys have a clue what you are talking about. Whatever.

Go buy your Western or Blizard junk.

Meyer for me.
  4. Detroitdan

Walmart stays in business and all they sell is cheap junk. I have seen and used Meyers, they ARE flimsy little pieces of junk. I'm glad you like it, maybe people like you are the ones keeping them in business.
  5. Detroitdan

by the way, thanks for the decent response homebuilder. I checked the webite, the trip was the only thing I could really notice. I looked at them at Deerfield fair last month, thought the Diamond looked way better. I guess the question I was trying to ask was is the Diamond made by the same people or just marketed that way. I cant imagine someone looking at the two side by side at a dealer and actually buying the Meyer. Unless of course it is Walmart-priced. Anyway, the 9' Diamond idea is out the window, as I believe I am getting a "lemming" plow.
  6. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

I would choose the fisher , dont know if its better . But have run them for years and have had excellent luck. doug
  7. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

I hate to sound like an arse but he asked the diff between meyer and Diamond products.....not how bad they suck or that this other company is better.....

BTW i thought Diamond was more industrial type compared to meyer....just a HD design i guess i am trying to say
  8. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Yeah and I appologize for my tude but Im tired of this divide. Its personal preference and the same as arguing whats better Dodge Ford or GM.

Just seems like the Meyer users are always getting dissed one way or another.

I have a Meyer Diamond 2 setup. Whats that supposed to mean?

9. Detroitdan

See, thats what I mean, I was trying to find out if they are one and the same, because the dealer carries both and this site lists them together. You say you have a Meyer/Diamond so I guess that makes them one, right?
  10. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Its a Meyer E60 pump, standard commercial blade, Meyer controller, so if theres anything different its the framing, mounts etc etc.

Id say they are the same thing.
  11. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

they are owned and manufactured by the same company just like western and fischer.On the new meyer plows they are using the diamond design as it looks alot more heavy duty than the previous meyer moldboards.
  12. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

Like 84 says, they are owned by the same parent company, however, Diamond is built in a factory in Maine, Meyer elsewhere. Diamonds are trip edges and heavier. Meyer is consumer like grade, and Diamond is more of a proffesional type construction. Kinda like the Toyota/Lexus thing, both the same company, just one more refined, more options, which = more $$$.

I own a Diamond, and all breakable parts are available at any Meyer dealer, more obscure parts, are available through mail order from Diamond for my location. I love the Diamond, have abused it and never spent more than annual oil change and one hose!! The cutting edge is very strong, 1/2" steel!!

Hope this helps..

13. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

I also believe Diamond started out as the "commercial" truck plow and they have filtered them together a little bit. I have only run meyer brand plows, ie, factory 78 snow commander hyd unit, e-47 electric unit (2 of those), and now have a C-8 meyer. I have had very good luck with them. All my pals around here have western plows. Some have had no trouble, some have had trouble.

I think it is personal opinion as to which is best. The diamond is a little to big for me.:drinkup:
  14. maineskier69

maineskier69 Junior Member
    from maine

Diamonds are not made in Maine anymore, they are made at Meyer's plant in Ohio. Diamond started out as a small company in Maine by some ex-Fisher employees. They made one rugged plow and one of the first multi-position V plows. Meyer bought them out in the 90's and it has shown. They still operate a distribution office in Maine with about 5 employees, everything else is handled by Meyer.

Check out a Boss Plow, you won't be disappointed.
  15. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

I like my Meyer...a lot.:rolleyes:
  16. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I say go with Boss but it's your decision. To each his own. I just have never been thrilled with Meyer's plow construction. It's just too flimsy.
  17. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I can't wait to get right of my POS meyer's and great a real plow. Blizzard 8611LP here I come. OH YEA BABY.