1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's the deal with Meyer

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by MLG, Nov 17, 2011.

1. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

I have an older Meyer and a couple Westerns. I'm not partial to either, but I ask the question because ya used to see Meyer's all the time around here. Then it seemed that they dropped out of popularity for a while. I've seen a few more new ones lately than I have in the past.

2. TDI

TDI Junior Member

I am the fleet and commercial manager for a Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge and Ram Truck Dealer. We are also a Meyer Dealer as well as a Buyer Products Dealer. My Snow Removal Business is a side job so I can get paid to do something I love.

Meyer has gone down hill a little. I have 2 Meyer Plows and one Spreader and love them. The quality is still as good as anyone in the industry but they are pricing themselves out of the market. We sell 3 SnowDoggs to one Meyer. I am becoming a big fan of the Buyer's SnowDogg Plows. We have been a dealer for going on three years now and our customers love them.
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Like TDI said, they went down hill and like you, I've seen a few new Meyers this year. I've even seen a couple of their V blades driving around, they look huge on these trucks. From what I've heard and read they seem to be making a come back but I'll never go back to them. Our Fisher's have been flawless!
  4. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

I was thiiiiiiiis close to buying a new meyer lot pro, but more than anything else, their dealers and warranty dont instill confidence that I'll have a plow that will last. its a great warranty, but with turd dealers, the warranty is worthless.
  5. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

dont think i'll ever go back to them again either,,,,,,had alot of trouble witht he late 90's early 2000's.
  6. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes they did, but i believe a lot of those issues have been corrected.
  7. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

All my plow friends have told me that meyer is the bottom of the barrel cheap grade.
    I've heard this for several years.

Are they just haters or is there some truth to this?
  8. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I have a ST 7.5 with E47 I used for many years, got it used. Only issues I had over the years was a pump motor went bad, blew packing out of one angle ram. Last year I rebuilt the pump since it had not been done in 10 years. This is now my back up truck. I put a fisher on my F350 this year. The reason I went with Fisher is because of my dealer, they did not recommend the Meyer. I have always liked my Meyer and it doesn't owe me a thing. We will see how the Fisher holds up this year.

My best guess is most dealers spent way too much time working on Meyer's or dealing with pissed off customers that they just don't recommend Meyer anymore.
  9. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Meyer earned a bad rep IMO with the E-47, when maintained properly they are fine once neglected though they require a full tear down and rebuild.

Currently Meyer has started making good improvements and offering a great warranty 3 year everything/5 year structural.
  10. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

kimber, wouldn't it make sense to go against your shop's recommendation since you have a Meyer already? You'd have interchangeable parts, one set of spares, etc...
  11. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

many or our meyer dealers are switching to snowdogg and have been pushing me to buy one of these turds. i loved my st 7.5 with e47 and has been as faithful as a puppydog for over 10 years. i chose another brand because of the lack of good dealers for meyer. without a dealer, the warranty is worthless. without a warranty, the price of a new plow should plummet. but the lot pro i wanted setup the way i wanted it was going to be $200 more than wideout. with no warranty, thats unacceptable.
  12. kimber750

Yes it would of, but they talked me into the Fisher XV instead of the super V. Also they gave me a price I couldn't refuse. All the time I spent helping out at the shop I only saw one Fisher come in for repairs, lots of meyer's came through the shop. These are the only two brands they sell and I did not not want to buy from someone else. These guys have been very good to me and did not want to risk ruining that relationship.
  13. donjhart

donjhart Junior Member

Meyer should have stayed old school and kept thier controls and pumps simple.I have a 1988 E-47 that still has the original electric motor,Ive replaced a few C coils and 1 B coil,and replace a toggle switch every so often.For about $9.00 a piece I can carry spare switches and be back to plowing in a couple minutes unlike the touchpads or grip controllers that cost a couple hundred dollars.About every 3 years I do a rebuild on the pump and Im good for another couple seasons.The E-47 is a good pump if the fluids are changed every season and depending on how much snow it sees I sometimes change the fluid midseason.If anyone has a new C-8 blade for sale let me know im staying old school with my Meyers.
  14. kimber750

I heard Meyer offers a "face lift" kit. Don't know much about it but may be worth looking into.
  15. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

AGREE With this one..

Very well said....great dependable cheap old stuff,easy fix-its...YES!!:salute::salute:
  16. Ridge

Ridge Junior Member
    from N-Wis

Well I have a 8.5 Super V2 coming in this week, it is going on a 02 F250 SD CC, only concerns is the front springs but if needed I will add bags. I was impressed with the warranty and the price was right also for a V-Blade, The only other close in price was the Snow Dogg, We have one of them on a 02 Chev 2500 HD Dura and It has worked fine but can be a bear to hookup if not perfectly level, the little kickstand on it for the pump assy to rest on when unhooked needs to be done differently as it lasted maybe 2 snows before it was bent all to He-- while using the plow and now its useless. Hopefully Meyer has put quality back on the table for 2011
  17. jkski

jkski Member

I have owned nothing but Meyer plows for many years and just added the Super V2 to my truck for this season, replacing an 8' Aggressor that was flawless. I have the luxury of having a great dealer in my area and agree that they can make a big difference in your like/dislike of any product.
    This Super V2 is big and built to last. I plow with several guys who run the Boss V and while they have not had any issues, when placed side by side, the Meyer just looks like a better quality build. The new pump assembly is also a nice improvement over the previous generation V's.

So, all in all, I would say Meyer is on the right track and that is is only a matter of time until the dealer support is back in place to sell more product. As is the case with anything, certain products will always sell better in certain markets.
  18. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I bought my CP 8 used about 5 years ago. I went through it and found I needed a coule of parts. I went to the only dealer of any kind in my area that sold Meyer and Western. The salesman said if you had a Western, you wouldn't need these parts. Last year I went to get some couplers and they said that they don't sell Meyer plows or parts any more. I asked, what gives? He told me that Meyer has dropped them as a dealer because they weren't selling enough plows. He said he can't help it that the guys are only buying Western. They don't want anything to do with Meyer. I asked him if he could at least get the parts for the guys that that still have them and he said Meyer won't sell them parts at dealer prices.
  19. jkski

jkski Member

Have you tried going direct to Meyer for your parts via their website. I am not sure what their pricing is like compared to a dealer and/or how quickly you need them/will get them but its an option.
    Glad my luck has been better than many here and glad I've got a good dealer.

HDPOWER Junior Member

Hope I didn't make a mistake buying Meyers Lot Pro ....all this talk about how ****** Meyers is scaring me.