1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats the deal on the SaltDogg Buyers Controllers? SPHE2000 / SPHE1500?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Workaholic, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Workaholic

Workaholic Member

I bought 2 used buyers this fall (1) sphe2000 and (1)sphe1500 both about 3 years old with white face controller.

I just sold the sphe1500 to upgrade to a 2000.

I ordered the sphe2000 from J-Thomas Distributors and picked it up yesterday.

New salter has digital black face control that I read alot of negative things about. Is this going to be a problematic controller for me? or have they re-designed it over the past couple years?

If they have redesigned the controllers, how do I check to see if I got a good one.

2. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I burnt up two of those within a couple of nights.

3. Workaholic

Workaholic Member

Thanks! Sounds re-assuring :cry:

4. sns250

sns250 Member

Workaholic,

I was worried about the same thing, I got a new 2000 last month from Angelo's.

I was also doing a lot of research when I received the black faced controller. The consensus seems to be that they have redone the control and have not had issues with the "new" black faced controller.

The way you can check is the new black faced controller has inline fusses on the back of the controller between the black box and the plugs that go into the wiring harness. I believe there are 2 inline fuses.

The old black face controller had them inside the control box themselves I believe.

I have run about 10 ton through mine this season and it hasn't been an issue yet.

The only issue I have is that mine spreads more to the driver side than the passenger side. I have gotten used to it now, but I would like a more even spread pattern ideally.

5. Workaholic

Workaholic Member

Mine has the two external fuses as well. Is that the only real change they made? I should probably carry some extra fuses around.

6. sns250

sns250 Member

Its my understanding that there were some internal component changes/soldering but the only way to tell the difference putting them side by side is the external fuses.

There have been a few post on here about them, me included and the new style seems to not have the issues of the past.

Knock on wood I haven't had issues other than having to get out and turn the auger once because I left the vibrator on and not the auger causing the extra load.

7. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

They are junk junk junk junk junk. Buy a Karrier controller. Thank yourself everyday. Sell yours on EBAY.

8. Workaholic

Workaholic Member

As I mentioned, I have one of each controller.

The reliable Carrier style one just konked out on me last night.

Not getting anything at all when I turn it on.

I put the digital controller in that truck to finish my route.

Is there anything to troubleshoot inside this controller before I go drop $600 on a new controller :confused:

I remember on my old snowex8500 I had to replace a power switch. I will start by checking that in the morning.

9. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

I had the same problem with my new 2000 also(opposite side)

I used some 3.5"x1'x3/8" aluminum stock and put a slight bend(about 22deg) on the last inch and screwed them to the spinner fins

. The bend sticks out past the spinner fin by the inch and clears the shield with no issues.

Took me less than 45 min to do the whole fab

. The stainless nuts and bolts were the most expensive part, all and all $20+/-

works awesome!! No problems with the controller Knock on wood

Very pleased so far

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  10. siteworkplus

from mass

3.5"x1"x 3/8"

11. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

Could you post some pics I am planning on buying one of these units this summer

12. siteworkplus

from mass

I'll try. Being a ditch digger I haven't quite figured out how to get them from my Phone to the computer yet

. I'm lucky I can get the thing turned on some days.

If I can get my tech savvy 22yr old to give me a hand I'll try to upload (is that the right term?) some pics early this week.Stay tuned.

You wouldn't' guess that I was a computer science major in college in 1980. Maybe I should have not spent so much time with the " extra curricular activities"

13. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

But those extra curricular activities are the best part of college. And thank you if you can and if not I think I got a pretty good idea of what you are doing.

14. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

As you stated - the external fuses are just the easiest way to identify the newer controllers. They were completely redesigned internally - and I can say from a warranty standpoint (# of controllers going out and coming back) that these controllers are better then any controller we've had in our history with electric salt spreaders. The problems of 2009-2010 were painful, but we learned a great deal from it.

They are significantly better then the white face "dial" controllers (which were never made by Karrier - for the record). The newer version of that controller is also signficantly improved and is used on our largest spreaders.

15. siteworkplus

from mass

OK i have a pic of the spinner mod I made sent to my E-mail. How do I post it here? seriously I'm a computer moron. Any help would be appreciated

16. siteworkplus

from mass

I posted a pic of the spinner mod on the" Salt Dogg spreader issues" thread if anyone is interested.

17. siteworkplus

from mass

Pics are posted

18. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I still burnt up one with the inline fuses last year but havent had a problem yet I still plan on ordering a white face one as a backup