1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's the criteria for going with a V-plow design.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mlc4163, Nov 8, 2001.

1. mlc4163

mlc4163 Member

I've read a lot of threads researching V-plows and I'm waiting on delivery of a 2500HD with the Duramax/Allison combo.
    My question is this: What are the determining factors to consider when choosing a straight vs V-plow design. Please give sound reasons. This could be a great thread on topic that gets a lot print. I'll be dropping the truck off in a couple days so need to finalize my decision. Western or Boss are my choices locally.
    All help is greatly appreciated.

2. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

3. plowguru

plowguru Junior Member

I would consider the type of plowing that you intend to do. There are several ways that a "V" will outperform a straight blade including:

1) Breaking through deep, heavy snow while keeping the truck "on-track."

2) If you have long, narrow "crowned" rural roads, you have the ability to plow through heavy snows while keeping the truck on the road at greater speeds than a straight blade.

3) The abilty to articulate each wing into a specific angle allows greater efficiency in certain conditions including the ability to "scoop" making it more of a bucket. Often this is a good way to clean up without leaving "trailings."

4) The "V" Blades are heavier, require a heavier truck but also tend to carry better over the road because you can form a "V" and carry it up tight against the lift frame. It does not bounce, and it balances better on the truck when compared to an angled straight blade which often tend to bounce and are extended into the oncoming traffic!

5) You may want to consider a Sidewing, a side mounted wing mounted behind the cab, in combination with a straight front blade. These are now made in Ontario, Canada:

http://www.sidewing.net

4. mlc4163

mlc4163 Member

More info

Plows on a 2002 Chevy 2500HD with Duromax.
    Major account is condo complex.
    I'm in southern Ohio not MI, NY or Canada.
    Do the benifits of the V-plow come out in deep snow or for all plowing applications?
    Thanks

5. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

v PLOWS

The answer would be all applications.
    You can put it in the /\ position for deep snow.
    \/ position for scooping, stacking, getting in between parked cars w/o covering them.

With you having a condo complex, I'm sure you will have a lot of parked cars and open spaces to plow in and arround.

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

V have their place. I would definately want one in my fleet. For many of my jobs though straight blades are fine and there is no need for the extra expense of a V.

If I only had one truck I would probably want a V if I could afford it. But people got by for years with stright blades and many still do. If you are not in a heavy snow area you may not be able to justify the expense of a V.

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Staright plows are good for one use only, long straight runs.
    Other than that, the 500.00 extra for a v plow is quickly recouped by effecientcy.
    Get the v and you wont be sorry.
    Dino

8. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

I have never had to use my V plow in the "vee" position. It's advantage for me comes in the straight to "scoop" position. Here is an example:

I plow a 3 mi lane off of which there are about 10 drives. I also plow only 5 of those 10 drives. I start by plowing the lane first (of course) in the straight position, windrowing to the passenger side of the truck. As I approach a drive on the passenger side, I move that wing to the forward position (scoop pos.). After I pass it, I move the wing back, forming the straight position again. This way the drives do not have large windrows blocking their entrance. Better for the people whose drives I don't plow and easier for me in the drives I do:D

That's just one example and I could give you many more. Basically, with a V, you can put the snow just about anywhere you want to.

Greg

9. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

If you are only going to have one plow, go with a V-plow.

Geoff

10. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Love my straight blades but from what I've read in the last year or so I long for a V.

Bruce

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

mlc4163,

I will assume that this is your business and you are the contractor holding the contract for the condo complex. GET THE V-PLOW! Especially for a condo complex! You may want to consider a skid steer depending on size of complex and what they want done.

HOWEVER, if you are just a sub, who cares? Time is money, and if you get paid by the hour, why be more efficient? Some subs with V's get paid more than straight blades, but that tends to be rare.

12. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

We have two trucks - two drivers. For 19 and 20 years respectively, we used stright. Then one got smart... Next year, I got a vee too.