1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats the cost of the new SL3 LED lights?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by c.schulz, Mar 4, 2015.

1. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Anyone made a call yet to a dealer? They say they are compatible with older systems.

2. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Sub'd for info as well
  3. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I would like to see something brighter than the last model.
  4. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

You can't beat what LEDs can give you for lumens at half the volts. Only drawback I've ever heard is that LEDs don't cast as far as halogens.

5. PLC1985

PLC1985 Member

I was actually at my dealer last Friday I have the older generation of headlights that have the blinker below them and wanted to upgrade to the latest Gen of the Oval style w blinkers in the same housing. Old ones were rusting off at the studs. So I went to buy a new light bar and harness and lights. Upgrade kit from boss. Anyways. As I'm telling my dealer what I wanted he says hold up. They are going to announce next week (today) led lights. Maybe u want those instead. I was looking at 400 bucks to upgrade to what I described above. He called boss to ask price on led for me. So they didn't have an exact price for me but it was gonna be a little over 600 and the upgrades weren't available just yet but they could have it to me soon. I passed but hope that answers your question. Looking llke 600.00 to upgrade. Keep in mind I was upgrading the bar too cuz I have old style w blinkers on end of bar. Maybe a little cheaper if you don't need new bar. We'll see how led does but I'm not overly pressed by any of this year's new product announcements as it seems most aren't.
  6. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Thanks for the info

7. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

PLC1985 storks automotive has a kit that you can change your light over to the Western/Fisher/Blizzard headlights using your current light bar.
  8. burtle

burtle Member
    from USA

600.00 ? Wow...sounds a little pricey to me
  9. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

I really like the idea of LED for the energy savings and the brightness. Just can't get past the cost when I have done the HID bulbs for $50 with high and lows. I'll stick with what I have for now. Maybe someday when I buy a new plow it will be a consideration
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  10. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

not really,
    Figure ONE bright LED china housing for the salt spreaders we use are usually $100 each, $200 if you get into better stuff and big money if you get usa made Whelen etc. type brands that last forever..

The older lights do totally suck, the mounting/stud system is horrible after only a couple seasons, most break eventually.

What boss really needs, is a way to adjust the lights up and down, they're always too low, and at times too high when loaded heavy with salt, especially on pickup trucks... a revised plow/truck light toggle switch with an up/down rocker switch that controls a motor in the front lights or entire bar to rotate up and down would do wonders.. even at $400+ on a plow i'd do it.
  11. Bruinzfan

Bruinzfan Junior Member

Don't know how true it is. But I heard they were having trouble with the LED's freezing because of the lack of heat build up compared to the halogens. They were going to include heaters of some sort. There goes your load savings on your alternator! LOL

12. Mark Klossner

Mark Klossner Sponsor

Hi everyone

I was just reading your conversation regarding LEDs - specifically to the new SL3 System we are rolling out in Oct of this year. Let me address a couple of your questions:

1. Icing up. Our SL3 light system will feature Ice Shield Technology - a thermally conductive grid that will heat the lense of the light - melting ice and keeping ice from forming. When you look at the light, you will be able to see the grid's lines. Ice buildup will not be an issue.
    2. Compatibility. The SL3 system will retrofit most SL2 systems out there. It will utilize the same light bar - so no issues there.
    3. Price/Cost. When you compare comparable LED aftermarket systems to the SL3 we believe you will find the price very competitive. Especially when you consider that it is OEM from BOSS - designed to work with your plow system. Add to that our Ice Shield Technology and again, we believe it is very competitive.
    4. Power draw. About half the power draw of halogen systems being used today - even with the Ice Shield system.

Any other questions - let me know.

BOSS Snowplows
  13. RIRAM2500HD

RIRAM2500HD Senior Member
    from 02914

I'll have to consider this upgrade at some point in the future.
  14. Bruinzfan

Bruinzfan Junior Member

I just had a 9'2 DXT installed, (brand new) will the lights retrofit to the halogen system?

What's your current draw with lights and heater on?

Thank you

15. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I think you need to read line 2&4 within the guote you quoted
  16. Bruinzfan

Bruinzfan Junior Member

I didn't realize the SL2 lights were the halogens I have. (First Boss). And I don't see a current draw listed IE: X=Amps. But hey thanks for the sarcasm!
  17. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

So the draw will be less, but you still wanna know how much they actually draw?
  18. RIRAM2500HD

RIRAM2500HD Senior Member
    from 02914

I just bought my Boss Super Duty 8' this past May brand new. I'm going to see how the SL2 lights work & may consider the new SL-3 an upgrade next year possibly?
  19. Bruinzfan

Bruinzfan Junior Member

P.S. Love the sarcasm here. Jeeze!
  20. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

i bought a rigid 20" E series led bar hyperspot driving combo, and mounted it between my two plow headlights. i wired it to the hi beam switch in the truck and it works perfect.

if you are going to do anything i would do that. plus it has a life time warranty on it.