1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's the cheapest, yet functional, plow out there?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Emerzws, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Emerzws

Emerzws Junior Member

Looking into buying a 1998 chevy c/k 1500 and I want to put a plow on it for my driveway and my parents driveway. The local businesses are quoting me at almost $5000. Which is like $4000 more than I want to spend lol. I saw this for sale, http://www.amazon.com/K2-Plows-RASP...TF8&qid=1417532363&sr=8-20&keywords=snow+plow which looks pretty simple and would work for what I need it for.

Any advice? Or is spending $1000 on a plow not feasible? Thanks

2. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Do you care if it's new or used. If used, you have more options out there. Just remember everything breaks down at some point and your gonna have to fix it. Spending $1000 on a plow is like " I hope it gets through this winter "

3. Emerzws

Emerzws Junior Member

Don't really care if its new or used, just as long as I'd be able to install it myself. I don't forsee it getting much use, maybe 4 or 5 times a winter.

4. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I don't forsee it getting much use, maybe 4 or 5 times a winter.

Really. Then why not just buy a snowblower, or pay someone to do it for you.

6. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

How huge is this property if it only snows 4-5 times and companies want $5k.

I'd love to get $1000 per push...maybe if I had a V plow I could...

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No it's 5k for the plow.....

8. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Look for a used Snowbear with a mount for your truck.

I don't know about the newer Snowbear, which uses a universal square hitch receiver mount, is as good. It might be, I truly have no idea. I do know that the old one, which used a proprietary mount customized to the vehicle, is good.

9. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

There are times when it's cheaper to hire a job done than to gear up to do it yourself.

10. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

What are you going to be plowing? If a personal business are you ready to be responsible for any slip and fall lawsuits? If your home driveway, hire the neighbor hood kids for a few bucks. A $1000 dollar plow will most likely cost you a lot more in the long run.

11. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

He said in his post that he just needs it to plow his and his parents driveway. This is also the non-commercial section.

12. jasburrito

jasburrito Senior Member

Keep searching. You should be able to find a used plow for 1500. Just make sure you get the correct mount and wiring harness with plow. Plowings fun. I got a direct bolt on plow with correct wiring harness and mount for 550. I had to remove from truck though. Not an easy task for plow newbie. Good luck.