1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats the cheapest I could get a plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by stealthsniper96, Jan 30, 2009.

1. stealthsniper96

stealthsniper96 Junior Member

I'm 16 and I just got a 93 f150. I was thinking about getting a plow for it so I could plow driveways in the neighborhood to make some money. I don't have a job so money is very hard to come by. What do you think is the cheapest I could get a plow? Would it be worth looking around junk yards for one, or is that just a waste? Thanks
  2. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Your best bet would be with a used plow and costs would vary depending on the condition its in. I sold a Fisher MM1 7'6" last spring for $300, was worth alot more but I wanted it gone now.

If I was you I would hold off a while till you get some money together, you know the old saying "You get what you pay for". Spring time is when you can find good deals on used plows.
  3. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

^^ Agreed.
  4. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

The cheapest you can probably get one for is Free......

I did. My buddy had a old full size blazer with a blown tranny.
    It sat there for 2 or 3 years and his wife started bitching like mad..

He called me and asked if I would haul it away..
    Sure I said...

It had a western 7 1/2 foot unimount on it... Pulled the plow...
    And the blazer is going to the scrap yard...

Love those kind of deals....

at 18 though. you dont have too many buddies like that though do you ?
  5. MattR

MattR Senior Member

If you definately need one now, start checking craigslist. To check multiple cities in your area, I would suggest using a site like http://www.craigshelper.com/ and it allows you to type in your search word and it will search a 250 mile radius around your area. I used that to buy a 89 Dodge Power Ram with a 7.5 Western plow on it. It only set me back $825. Of course costs of used items will vary throughout the country. In my area I have seen used plow systems ranging from $500 - $2,500

Instead of buying a plow for your truck since the season is well underway, have you thought of buying a used snowblower? There are lots of those on craigslist ranging from $200 - $400. You can haul it with your truck. Save your money you make using a snowblower and shop for a good used plow in spring.

I normally agree with the same saying about getting what you pay for, yet sometimes you can get more than you pay for. Just gotta be a wise shopper and be the first one in line to buy it.

6. stealthsniper96

stealthsniper96 Junior Member

Thats a real good idea. Could I buy ramps to get it into the bed? or should I just look for a real cheap trailer?
  7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

the probelm with being cheap and a used plow.... it really isnt about the plow., you do get what you pay for

but your problem is going to be the 800 plus , for a plow frame , and wiring, and controller. If you find a good deal on a blade, jsut remember if it doesnt come with all that stuff, you will have to buy it

frames depend on vehical types, so unless you find a plow coming off an exact truck like your own, your going to need to buy it regaurdless
  8. MattR

MattR Senior Member

If doing everything yourself, the trailer will be alot easier to load the blower into. Ramps will work too, yet if you lose traction while trying to run it up the ramps, you could cause some damage to equipment and possibly yourself. If your equipment breaks down while at a client's property, loading a non running machine will be easier with a trailer due to the reduced height needed for loading it.

Depending on your budget, you can buy those cheap fold-up style trailers from harbor freight, at least I think they sell them there. They do a good job for hauling a snowblower and lighter type stuff like that. The one I had was nothing fancy, but the best part is it was just a bit over a foot off the ground for easy loading. Buy a couple of 2x10 sections of wood and you got ramps for the trailer as well. The wood I used for ramps had sections of an old snowmobile track screwed to the wood for added traction.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Before investing now when you are 16/17 years old I would make sure your insurance wont drop you at 1st site of a blade on it. Get the blower and use it to build your funds and clients till you are 18 and can get proper insurance.

Trust me everyone has a incident in their driving life. Most when young.
  10. matts lawn care

matts lawn care Junior Member

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

How are you going to pay for insurance??? Plowing w/o insurance is STUPID.
    Cheap and plowing don't go together very well. Gas, parts, repairs will all add up.
    Save money and do it right next year or 2 years from now.
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

1000 Bucks can get you a pretty nice plow..just gotta find it.

few hundred for install.
  13. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Actually there is usually some great deals on there, most of the stollen plows from around the states make their way to craigslist . . .
  14. MattR

MattR Senior Member

You can find stolen stuff almost anywhere... So what is your point?

And if "most" of the stolen plows are listed there, alot more people would be getting their plows back from the thieves. Realistically it is safer to say a "few" get listed there.

When buying from somebody on any online site, always try to quiz the seller a bit about the item's history. If they get nervous, you can bet that something is not right. ALWAYS ask them to sign a bill of sale for the item, and also make notes of where you purchased the item such as their address, phone number, or if they met you someplace get their plate number. Good deals can be found online from legitimate sellers.