1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whats the biggest plow for a 2500 with upgrades?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by drivefaster35, Feb 9, 2010.

1. drivefaster35

drivefaster35 Member
    from iowa

Ok heres the deal I'm looking to add a second truck and really leaning towards and 2nd or 3rd gen dodge with the 5.9 cumins. I'm a big Ford fan but the cummins is tough to beat and have a 08 6.7L and an 05 ford f250 that has the 6.0L and a 8.5 western mvp with pro wing which it handels fine. I'd really like to throw a Western 9.5 MVP with wings in the mix of my fleet and am nervous about the weaker front ends on the Dodges. I'm looking for suggestions on if the front end would work out well or what I would need to do to get it ready and bullit proof for that big of a plow for some larger lots. Any suggestion would be awesome. THANKS Zach

2. Wiseguyinc

Wiseguyinc Member
    from MN

so far my 97 has done fine with a boss 8' 6" steel v plow. I have plowed 4 years and the front end seems to be doing just fine. I always run at least 600 pounds of ballast though to help take weight of the front. I am not sure how much the western setup would weigh but it would have to be similar or less than the v plow. The only thing you might want to consider is an aftermarket steering shaft from borgeson to tighten up the play in the steering. Hope this helps.

3. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I have an 05 CTD running a ultra mount 9' w/Pro Wings. Runs good. Every now and then the steering will be hard IF you are sitting still and the plow raised. Not suppose to do that but sometimes you have no choice.

4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Boss 8'2" V on my 3500. It's 4 years old with 44,000 miles on it. Only thing I've replaced (under warranty) is U-joints

5. Booman70

Booman70 Senior Member

I dont think they have a weak front end but have a heavier motor in front than the other trucks I have run a 8' Diamond with wings and am now running a 8.5' Diamond just u joints so far the truck can handle it

6. EXR

EXR Senior Member

Can you run a 9.5 vblade on a diesel 2500?

I noticed that the new dodge increased the front axle from 5200 to 5500lb.