1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's the best way to store a little bulk salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dieselboy01, Mar 4, 2013.

1. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

I have a little bulk salt I don't think Ill burn up this year. I have been keeping it in 40 gal garbage cans through the winter and filling 5 gal buckets from the cans. I was thinking if I put 55 gal drum liners in the 40 gal garbage cans, fill them full of salt, twist tie the bags shut and put the lids on the cans the salt should stay dry for next winter. In the bags the salt wont attracted any more moisture. What do you guys think? Will this stop my salt from turning into a big salt lick over summer?
  2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

where are these containers going to be? inside, outside covered, outside in weather?
  3. dieselboy01

Inside a garage or enclosed shed, nothing climate controlled. The bags will be tied shut and the lids will be on the cans.
  4. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Salt lick. I have never had any luck storing salt in plastic containers over the summer.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  5. dieselboy01

That's what I'm afraid of.:rolleyes:
  6. mtstclair

mtstclair Member
    from indiana

Sand bag them put them in dry place ive never had a problem but I use clearlane. Had some in storage for 2 years
  7. dieselboy01

What do you mean by "sand bag" them?
  8. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Put them in sand bags...
  9. Mike NY

Mike NY Senior Member
    from zone 5

Donate it to the town or a larger local contractor, hope they remember if you ever need a favor.
    You're only talking about $20 worth of bulk I'm assuming.
  10. dieselboy01

True, its not much money in salt, but I don't buy it by the ton, I have no place to store that much. I buy it from my friend who gets it buy the ton. I was just hoping to keep the little bit I have.