1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what's the best way to charge for bag salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snowbuster1, Dec 27, 2010.

1. snowbuster1

snowbuster1 Member

just got my first salt spreader a snow ex mini pro 575. just curious on the best way charge.
  2. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

I add some to the price of each bag.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  3. APT Snow

APT Snow Junior Member
    from mi/oh

I use 80# bags and usually charge $20-25 a bag spread.
  4. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

WOW......that's like $500-$625 a ton!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
  5. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

I actually use the 50lb bags of haylite......... Most folks mark up the salt 50%. So if you get the bag of salt for 5 bucks then its 10 bucks per bag spread......... I buy my salt 3 skids at a time 2 get the discounted price of $4.25 per bag and I get $10 per bag spread. Makes it worth while when I wake up to go do the stip malls and spread a skid of salt. I have about $220 in a skid and after bill for $500 for the skid spread. Crazy part is, I know several folks getting $12 per bag spread and getting the salt at the same price as im getting it. Good for them. Make dat money!!!!!!
  6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I get $25 per 50. payup

7. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Same here... $25, sometimes $30, per 50 lbs. spread

Ah, that math is so confusing sometimes... :D
  8. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I have 2 brands of bagged salt I use, normal salt spreaded customer cost is 18.00 a bag the better salt for deeper snow pack or colder temps spreaded is 24.00 per 50# bag
  9. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

Wow. wow wow. you guys make a killing on salt. Even if it casts you more for salt. Bag salt I buy for $3.46 per 50lbs. bag. and spread for $0.17 per lbs. that's $8.50 per bag. and I make decent money at that. I still get $0.17 per lbs for my bulk salt. That costs me $23.00 a ton. However i guess living in Utah helps make salt a little cheaper.
  10. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

We charge $240.00 to $300.00 per ton applied (.12 to .15 per pound) for bulk salt. Depending on size of lot, shape, cars, etc.
  11. capnsac

capnsac Member

we charge $35 per bag spread. That's the going rate here.
  12. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

I am confused on your pricing for a small lot or residential. My minimum for salting is $25. If a house takes 25# of salt, are you charging $8.50 for salt that costs 1/2 of $5, or are you charging $8.50 + stopping fee or $8.50 per 50# with a minimum fee that you have not stated. For one place that uses a full bag, I get more like 40+ and it takes less than 10 minutes to do.
  13. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

$0.18-.20/lb applied bulk or bagged. It depends what truck goes to that stop sometimes. IT might have a vbox on the back or a tailgate. Minimum charge for salting is automatically $25.00 for spot salting an things like that.
  14. StormRanger

StormRanger Member
    from NorEast

.18 - .20/lb as well. I will spot salt some driveways, I'll charge $4 for some, but thats for like 20lbs, thats plenty of salt for a little 2 car driveway.
    Its not that much hassle for me to push a button as im leaving. Mostly for my senior citizens.
  15. ctbman

ctbman Member

Charge for bag salt

In milwaukee we charge $.35 per pound
  16. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

Yes $8.50 for 50 lbs. I sell in 50 lbs increments. and not other fees. so yes if i only dump 50 lbs i only get 8.50
  17. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Sell based on the value of your service not the cost

We sell bagged salt for .48 per pound applied with a truck spreader and labor charge on top of the material if we are not plowing.

That's how we do it.
  18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Prices will vary drastically from area to area. The size of the lot and the amount of ice events you get/ year will make a big difference in price. The thoughts of 500-$1000/ton salt is very unrealistic around here unless your spreading a few bags a night.
  19. dynogt16

dynogt16 Junior Member

Good info. shows we are in the ballpark here.