1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's the best V box for a 1 ton p/u

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RB, Dec 8, 2000.

1. RB

RB Senior Member

I want to buy a v box next season and don't want to spend too much time investigating the different products. I'm sure if you take care of them all will work fine. I don't know anyone who uses one so I'm counting on you all.

I'll read all the threads on the subject, but I'd like to hear your input.

My local dealer sells Swenson and says they are the best, but you know how that goes..

2. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

We just got a Fisher in one of the trucks, its a 1.7 yard Mild steel Fisher with a 10hp motor and cab controls and top screen for $3000.00 installed. Our other is a Diamond.
  3. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

My personal preference is either Ice-O-Way or Sno-Way, same unit, just different labels. They offer a swing away spinner which I consider an invaluable feature. I can't count how many spinners I have seen mangled when somebody forgot they were there and backed into a frozen bank or fixed object and trashed them. Only thing I don't like is that I found I had to close the feed door all the way and idle the engine way down to get them to spread slow enough to not waste material if I'm working anything under 20' wide. With the door open and throttled up they will cover a 2 lane street about as fast as you want to drive. This is with straight salt, with sand they are a little less touchy but you can empty the hopper REAL fast if you're not careful .
  4. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

swensons got my vote.

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Smith harder electric v box all the way. Leave the gas powered units in the dust and use quiet power. The unit is all stainless, and effecient. Pretty much bullet proff and maint free. All for around 3500.00
    I know guys that have units 15 yrs old and they work like new to this day.
  6. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Dino, I looked hard at the Smith, same dealer has them where we bought our Sno-Way. I spent quite a while trying to figure how I could remodel the Smith to make the spinner a swing away. No real easy way to do it without rebuilding the whole discharge assembly. If I could have an ideal spreader it would be the Smith electric drive and the Ice-O-Way/Sno-Way spinner.

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

8. plowking35

from SE CT

I do like the swing away, I also am thinking of modifying the unit to a swing away design. To many projects and not enough time.
  9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I would go with the smith I think that they would be worry free and quiet.
  10. RB

RB Senior Member

(I posted the orig. thread)

Now that I'm in the market I'm noticing more v's. Most around here are air-flo. What do you guys think of air-flow v's?

A few guys told me they picked them up for $2,500 at a local dealer.
  11. plowking35

from SE CT

I have a 11 yr old airflow that is great. Its in better shape than my warren I sold after 3 yrs.
  12. BENCO

BENCO Junior Member

we have 2 swensons. never a problem. probably best to use whatever the best dealer(mostparts, best service) closest to you is selling. that way when you breakdown your down time will be smaller,
  13. RB

RB Senior Member

In my area I can only find an air-flo and a swenson pv. Both 8ft one is 2.0 cu yd. Both 10.5 briggs.

Swenson - $3,600
    air-flo - $2,600

What's the difference??

The swenson has a lot of options, i.e., 6" box extension and 12" spinner extension. And...what would I use the liquid spray system??

Is this liquid spray system worth $1,800 if I only make approx. $2,000 each run?

14. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Airflow and swenson are both very good spreaders,so i would go for the airflow for the $1000, saving's.The pre-wetting system is not needed.